The crash

Jack

"Dad watch out!" I yelled. The sound of screeching tires and shattering glass filled my ears before everything went black and all noise was cut off. 

Earlier

"Jack, are you ready to go?" My mom asked. "Yeah! I'm coming ma!" I yelled grabbing my bag. We were going to go visit my grandparents and I would be staying with them for a couple days. My mom and dad had to go to Dublin for buisness stuff. Of course, all my other siblings were old enough to stay where they wanted, well, the ones that still lived with us. I didn't mind staying at my granny's though. She always had chocolate and cookies. She was a very kind woman and was always welcoming to anything. Despite most other people her age she was very openminded, which made it good for me. I was gay and was to afraid to tell my parents. I didn't know how they'd feel. I had already told her and she and I stayed up and watched a movie afterwards. Funnily enough it was the Babadook. I loved the movie so much. 

We all piled into the car and headed out to her house. I was so excited to see her. Memories of going out there when we were younger flashed through my head as I stared out the window with a smile. I heard something outside and turned to look. A large truck had drifted to our side of the road and neither of my parents noticed. "Dad watch out!" I yelled. It hit us directly. Everything went in slow motion. I saw the fear in my dads eyes grow larger. I could hear the glass cracking peice by peice. The sound of the metal crunching. Burned rubber. Everything faded out into blackness.

I felt something warm on my hand. I strained to open my eyes. It was bright and quiet. Lights were hanging over my head and I could feel the soft blankets that were laid over me. I turned and saw my mom, tears still on her face, stroking my hand. I wiggled a little bit to get her attention. She started talking but. I couldn't hear what she was saying. "What?" I tried to say. But I couldn't hear myself. I started to breathe heavily and I could feel myself screaming. Nurses and doctors rushed in. Someone pushed a needle into the tube of my I.V. and a clear liquid seeped into the tube that traveled down my arm. I eventually felt tired and stopped struggling. My eyes slipped close and I fell asleep.

When I woke up again My mom was sitting in a chair this time with one of my brothers and my sister Allison. They all looked as if they'd been crying for hours on end. I sat up and they all looked over at me. I was confused at first but then remembered. I lifted my fingers next to my ears and snapped. No sound. I was deaf. I felt tears fill my eyes. A doctor walked in and smiled at me. He started to talk. I gave him a confused look. His eyes widened as his eyes scanned over the papers in his hand.  He turned to my mom and they started talking. Allison and my brother Malcom would look at me then turn to each other and talk and it began to get frustrating. 

I picked up the pen and paper laying next to me and scribbled something on it.

I really don't like being left out!

They looked at me sadly and turned to my mom. I looked at my sisters lips. "Can we tell him?" Is what I think she said. My mom nodded silently.  Well. She could've said something, but. My sister walked over and took the pen and paper from me. Crying as she wrote. My brother comforted her and kept his eyes on me as I picked up the paper. 

Dad died on impact. He didn't survive.

My face dropped and I looked over at my mom. She gave me a sad smile and walked over. She pulled me into a hug. I didn't know if I should cry or be angry. Instead, I stayed silent. My mom was crying into my shoulder. I hugged her back and did my best to comfort her. 

The doctor came over and handed me a note. I really hated this. I don't want to talk through notes. 

This may or may not be temporary. You may be permanently deaf. I'm sorry.