New Town

Jack

We were finally in the bright city of Los Angeles California. Our new home. I'd bet it was just as loud as it was bright. 

We gathered out luggage and hauled it outside and hailed a taxi that would take us to our new home. Everything was a little bit of a blur now, bright city lights, people, police cars, ambulances. It seemed like it was always busy here, unlike Athlone. It was always quiet there, not very busy. Unless is was St. Patrick's day, then, it was a madhouse everywhere. Even school. Soon enough, we were at the new house. We all climbed out and grabbed our things and went up to the front door. My mom paid the driver and walked up to us with a smile. She dangled the keys and said something to Allison. I didn't even bother to point out that I couldn't hear her. She opened the door and stepped aside for us to walk in. She signed to me where my room was and I started to practically run towards it. All of our stuff had been cleared three days before and was set in the appropriate rooms. I walked into my room which was actually a little smaller than my old room. 

I set my suit case down and looked around at the room. My mattress was laying on the ground, the box that had my blankets and sheets in it sitting on the bed. I opened it and laid them out over the mattress. I wasn't gonna bother with the frame right now. I wanted to unpack other stuff and relax for the rest of the night. I was way to tired for any of this actually. I just wanted to sleep for a while, but I couldn't, not until most of my stuff was unpacked. 

--

When all of that was done I flopped down on the bed, stared at the ceiling and started thinking. It was like time finally caught up with me and everything that had happened In the last month just crashed on me. Losing my dad, my hearing, Dustin, Rory. I also realized that as soon as Malcom found a job he'd be moving out. Same went with my sister. We were in a completely different place, a different country. It was like I was losing everything and everything was changing all at once and it scared me a lot. Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my face. I tried my best to make sure my cries were silent. I just wanted to be alone for a little bit. I needed time to regain my thoughts. I looked over at the picture of me and my dad. It was taken a week after I had fallen out of a tree and lost a tooth. I smiled sadly, wishing he was still here. I missed him so much already and it had only been a few weeks. 

I rolled onto my side and let out silent tears of both anger and sadness. I was angry because my dad had died. He was a big part of my life too. I curled into a ball and just sat there. When I was calm I would go out. I was sad because nothing would ever be the same. Ever again. I was deaf, my dad was gone and it wasn't long before my mom became an emotional wreck. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I knew sitting here like this would accomplish nothing. I started school in just a couple of weeks, meaning I needed to go shopping for supplies and read up on American History. I wonder if my listening to "Alexander Hamilton" on repeat  for about a month straight would suffice. I scoffed at my own thoughts. Yeah, like that would cover even half of American history. 

As quietly as I could, I crept out of my room and into the hallway. I was gonna wash off my face and see if my ma would let me go out. There were a few stores not that far from here and I doubted that the school necessities here were much different than the ones in Ireland. I splashed my face with the cool water and took deep breaths. I didn't want to have another panic attack. I couldn't. 

I dried my face with a towel and stepped out into the still empty hallway. I wandered around for  little while, trying to find everyone before I found them in the back yard. I knocked loud enough, I hoped, on the wall and they turned to look at me. "Hey." I had to be quick to read my moms lips. "Can I go on a walk?" I asked. She puzzled it before signing "where?" I didn't learn the one for store so I spelled it out. She hesitated. "Alone." I added. "Be safe." She mouthed. Or... said... I thanked her and grabbed my jumper, satchel, and wallet, before walking out and down the pavement. 

They're weren't many people around surprisingly, considering it was L.A. But I didn't mind it, it just meant less people bothering me. I made it to one of the sores without interruption and made my way to the school supplies. I stuffed my hands in my jumper pocket and looked around at all the pencils and notebooks. I grabbed a package of mechanical pencils, a ruler, two five subject notebooks, erasers, pens, pencil sharpeners, and a new sketch book. I grabbed a box of coloured pencils and went to the register. The lady talked way to fast for me to understand her, and by the look on her face she was expecting a response. I tried to sign or show her that I was deaf, but she clearly didn't understand. I mimicked writing on something and she handed me a pen and paper. 

I'm deaf.

She immediately wrote an apology and asked her question again. "You're new in town?" I wrote back. 'Yes.' She smiled. "Always good to see a new face around here. Total is $12.73." I paid and thanked her again before heading out.  I stuffed the items in my satchel and moved onto the next store. It was a small coffee shop and the smell of fresh coffee and doughnuts. My stomach growled and I went inside. There were a few people sitting at tables and sipping drinks, most of them had theirs noses shoved in books or were looking at their phones. I walked up to the order counter and waited for the only barista to finish making someone's coffee. He was tall, tan, dark haired. Maybe around my age from what I could tell, his back was facing me. When he turned around my heart stopped momentarily. He. Was. Hot. I studied his face as he called the name on the order and waited for the person. He had a strong jaw line and a stubbly beard. His eyes were a beautiful and warm chocolate colour. He turned to me and smiled. 

"Hi." Was all he said. I pursed my lips together and stepped closer to the counter. "What can I get for you?" I read. I looked up at the board and decided on a small cinnamon spiced frappe and a glazed doughnut. I reached into my satchel and pulled out a paper and pen, writing down my order. He raised an eyebrow at me, obviously confused as to what I was doing. I looked down at the ground and pointed at my ears. He nodded and put in my order. He tapped the counter in front of me to get my attention. When I looked up he pointed at his name tag and then at me. 

'Jack.'

I wrote. He nodded and tapped my name into the terminal. I looked at his nametag again. 'Mark.' I scribbled out a quick thank you before standing aside to wait for my order. 

Text me and let me know you're okay
I'm fine ma, just getting some coffee.
Good, be home soon, I have to go to work and you don't have spare keys.
Got it, love you ma.
Love you too

I put my phone away and watched the counter, waiting silently. Once Mark set my order down I signed a thank you and walked away with my coffee and sweet treat, missing the sounds of a coffee shop and the outdoors. I walked in uncomfortable silence back to my house.

After taking a few wrong turns and groaning in frustration several times I arrived home just in time to see my ma leaving. 

She started talking, clearly forgetting that I couldn't hear her at all. I held up my hand to stop her and point to my ears as a reminder. She pulled out her phone and messaged me instead. 

'Food on the counter, wash dishes, take a shower, be safe. Love you.'
'Gotcah, love you.'

--

After eating and finishing with my chores I retreated to my room to draw or read, do something to distract me from the fact that I would be starting school soon. I knew no one. Nothing. I was alone here.

(A/N) FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
I'M

SORRY

I HAVE BEEN SICK AND BUSY AT WORK AND IN AN OUT OF THE HOSPITAL AND DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY HAVE BEEN A BITCH SO I THOROUGHLY APOLOGIZE AND HOPE YOU ENJOY THE NEW CHAPTER. I'M WORKING ON THE MIRACLE, SWIM WITH ME?, AND SHARPIE TATTOOS

EDIT:

I'M REWRITING THIS CHAPTER BECAUSE IT DIDN'T GO THE WAY I WANTED IT TO. I RUSHED INTO JUST TO GET AN UPDATE OUT. I'M GETTING BACK ON TRACK FINALLY SO EVERYTHING WILL BE UPDATING MORE OFTEN!