Chapter Seven: Just Tell Her

I have lied again to Josh on my whereabouts for lunch today. I fear that if I tell him the truth about hanging around the outcasts, he will stop being friends with me. He's my only friend at the moment.

My social life is pathetic, I know. Even my existence in this world is grotty.

Most of Ridgewood doesn't want to be associated with the outcasts yet they fear them at the same time. It's quite interesting; I think the real reason is that most of us don't know much about them. Sure, they have attended this school since Freshmen year, but the trio only seem to associate within their own circle.

"We definitely would like to get that ring back from you," Cove says in a blank tone.

"Gee, thanks captain obvious, I thought that I was just invited here for a tea party," I roll my eyes. "Where's the Mad Hatter, anyway? I demand some tea."

Bronx seems to be amused at this predicament while Easton looks like he wants to strangle me.

"Will you please save the snarky remarks for later? We're kind of pressed for time," Easton says annoyed. His dark brown eyes meet mine, we seem to have met each other's match.

"Oh really? Would you care to explain why?" I sit up in the hard plastic chair.

"Hold on, you two, that leads us to the next part of this meeting," Bronx cuts in. "Before we even discuss this negotiation, we need you to sign an NDA."

I furrow my eyebrows. "An NDA? What the heck is that?"

"It's a Non-Disclosure Agreement," Cove says, typing away on his phone.

"This is basically an agreement stating that between parties there is a confidential relationship, meaning that whatever information we present to you or vice versa cannot be made available to the public or shared in any form," Bronx explains as she passes the document next to me.

I pick up the paper and stare at it skeptically. "Are some sort-of lawyer in the making?"

"No," Bronx laughs, "I found a template last night online and basically filled in the blanks. I was too lazy to do all the professional wording."

I read carefully through the papers and make sure to not skip over anything. I will not repeat the same mistake that I did on my scholarship application.

"Alright, this seems fair," I look up from the paper. "May I have a pen?"

Cove slides a pen across the table. Picking it up, I sign my name in sloppy cursive on the very last page of the NDA.

"Now that we have that signed. I think you should know something," Cove scratches the back of his neck, he looks nervous.

"Know what?"

"We did a background check on you," Easton says bluntly.

"Please don't be angry," Bronx pleads.

"Why would you do such a thing?" I glare at all three of the outcasts. Knowing that they have gone this low to find information about me makes me feel exposed and irate. I'm more irate though. "How did you even do that?"

"My mom is a detective and she has access to many databases. I've seen her do research on witnesses and suspects, so naturally I was able to navigate my way through the websites." Judging by Bronx's facial expression, she looks ashamed. She gazes down at the circular table.

"We know that you don't trust us, therefore we don't trust you," Easton avoids looking at me. He too, seems guilty.

"It's not that bad. I mean, lots of  employers do that before hiring someone," Cove says trying to lighten up the mood in the room.

"You talk as if this is a job interview. I'm starting to believe that I wasted my time coming here," I say firmly.

"Should we just tell her?" Easton looks at his two friends for approval.

"Tell me what?"

"Well, we know about your situation," Cove says meekly.

"What are you implying?" I mentally prepare myself for the next scandal they are about to throw at me.

"We know that you're dad was killed in a car accident five years ago. He is survived by you and your mom. Judging by your mom's job, you are in need of money for your college fund." Easton's voice is soft.

I don't say anything, my heart sinks at the mention of my father. A nerve of mine has been struck, but I don't have any willpower to speak. Never do I go a day without thinking about my father's tragic death.

"This is where the NDA and our offer comes into play," murmurs Bronx. She tucks a strand of her strawberry blonde hair behind her ear. Her gaze is still down at the table. "You may have heard some nasty rumors about us, talk such as drug dealing."

"Which is not true, by the way," Cove emphasizes.

"We illegally race for money," Easton begins. "Not all the time though, it's more like a hobby.

"Yeah, an illegal hobby," Cove mumbles, playing with the hem of his grey t-shirt.

"And this concerns me, because?"

"We would like to offer you the chance to street race with us in exchange for the ring," Bronx joins back in. "You can make some serious money,"

"Last month, Bronx made two thousand dollars," Cove says with a gleam in his eyes, he looks to be proud of her, like a dad watching his kid score a goal at a soccer game. "She's an amazing racer."

"You do have your driver's license, right?" Bronx asks.

I nod my head, "Why are you guys doing this? You can easily offer me five hundred dollars for the ring and be done with me."

"It's the right thing to do," says Easton.

"You all pity me, don't you?"

"No, we don't. Sure, this whole ordeal may look like that," Easton checks the time on his phone. "Damn, I need to leave right now, sorry." He quickly gets up from the table and grabs his backpack. "Let me know what happens," he says to Cove and Bronx before leaving the classroom.

I look at the clock sitting on the brick wall next to the door. Lunch will be over soon, in about fifteen minutes. I wonder where Easton's off to.

"We know that you're like us, an outcast," Bronx says, she finally has gained the courage to look at me.

"I don't know what you're talking about." My feet begin to fidget under the table.

"Yes, you do. If you were a true emo, you wouldn't be nosy and meet up with a group of people like us in the first place. You don't fit into any social labels, yet you try so hard to." Cove has his gaze on me now as well.

It's fascinating how he can see right through me, yet I can't do that with him.

I don't know how to respond, so I stay quiet like I always seem to do nowadays. The sound of silence fills the air.

"So, Remi, would you be interested in street racing?" Bronx breaks the ice.

Hey all,

I didn't have much time to edit through my grammar mistakes and etc. If anyone sees something that should fixed, please let me know!

Stay tuned for the next chapter! Be sure to vote if you enjoyed the chapter :)

-Nikki