XIII

|Word count:2371.

Hermione.

I LOOKED UP FROM MY BOOK, A SMALL SIGH ESCAPING MY LIPS. It was the beginning of March, and the harsh winter storms were finally coming to an end. Today, the weather was quite nice. It wasn't warm and nor was it cold, hence it was the perfect time to go out alone and read a book. I was currently sitting on a bench and thankfully, there were only a few people around. Everyone was either outside of the Hogwarts Grounds enjoying the weather, or inside, doing whatnot.

For the first time in a while, I actually had some time for myself. Since that was a rare phenomenon, I decided that I should plan my day and use the free time I had to the maximum. It mainly consisted of me reading my book, eating, studying a little (since for once, there wasn't really anything to study), and then going to sleep.

I looked around and a small smile appeared on my face as I saw some first-years just laughing, having the time of their lives. Truthfully, I dearly missed the good old days. Back then, I had nothing to worry about but studies, studies and studies. There was no Evangeline, no Viktor, no drama and no clichè romance. Now my life felt like a soap opera, and every day just became more and more dramatic. The worst thing though, was that I was part of a love triangle I really didn't ask for.

Speaking of Viktor, I haven't spoken to him in a week. Since the argument, for some kind of a reason, nothing was the same in my life. Every time I walked the halls I was anxious because I didn't want to see him, didn't want to smell his  cologne and didn't want to stare into his pitch black eyes, that always seemed to calm me down. Every time I sat in class, I would look around cautiously so I could see where Viktor was seated, so that way I would know which certain spot I should avoid for the rest of the lesson. Every time I saw him in the dining Hall I would freeze, and after that I would change my usual seat just so I could be as far from him as I could. 

From the two of us, he was the only one that was trying. At times when I just couldn't avoid him, he would try and talk to me, but I would always find a way to escape. I was being petty and childish; but who wouldn't? After he dumped Evangeline at the Yule Ball, I had hoped that everything would be okay, that everything would be simple and that we would be a couple just like every other pair out there.

Little did I know, I was soon to be proven wrong.

After me and Viktor had that encounter with Evangeline, I was incensed. I was also sad, disappointed, crushed, and last but not least, embarrassed. I was so blinded by my crush for him that I had forgotten who he actually was. Back in the days, I used to call him the 'oh-so-mighty-Viktor', but I had forgotten all about that name when he showed me another side of him. I was so engrossed in this 'different Viktor', that I haven't had the chance to meet the actual, real him. And now, he had showed me that side of him. That side was everything I had feared; it was cold, ruthless and careless. He didn't care that I had almost lost my dignity by kissing him; he only cared to look cool in front of Evangeline and I had realized why; he was obviously embarrassed to be seen with me.

But... even if I do trust the fact that he doesn't want to be seen with me, why do I keep hoping that he will never stop trying? On the other side, why does he keep talking to me? Unfortunately, I didn't have an answer to that.

For the tenth time today, I sighed and looked down at my book again. Before I could continue where I had left off, I heard movement besides me. My stupid heart leaped at the thought of that being Viktor, but it wasn't.

I looked up to be greeted by a pair of green eyes and a warm smile. It was Harry, and behind him I saw Ginny and Ron, who were also smiling down at me.