XXIV

|Word count: 2043.

Hermione.

JUNE 23RD,1995 had unfortunately arrived. It stopped right in front of our feet, teasingly smiling at us like the Cheshire Cat. The date poked us, reminding everyone of the things we gained this year, but will have to let go of today.

By far, this was the most miserable day at Hogwarts. The gloomy look on the students' faces contracted the beautiful weather outside. The sorrowful words leaving friends' lips was the opposite of birds chirping. The only thing we had in common with the nature today is that we kept going anyways, just like the white patches which painted the bright blue sky.

Weeks have passed since my last encounter with Viktor. It was painfully clear to the both of us that to this point, we shouldn't even try anymore. I have lost all my faith in him; the trust I had once gained, now disappeared along with the fresh wind that blew outside.

After the incident, I picked up the courage to tell Professor McGonagall about what had really happened. I explained everything; the nasty looks, the comments, the words, the threats, the injustice, the kidnapping. Putting it simply, she was horrified. She immediately informed Dumbledore, and so the latter sent a crew of trustworthy wizards to search the Forest inside out and find her. It kinda seemed ridiculous, really. A group of powerful wizards chasing a 15 year old girl who was throwing a tamper tantrum because she couldn't get Viktor's attention. She was found a few days later, got expelled, and whatever is to happen to her in the future lays in authorities' hands.

"I can't believe I don't have anything to study for!" Exclaimed Ginny beside me. "It's such a good feeling, almost as liberating as taking your bra off after a long day." I choked on my water, not expecting such a comment from my best friend.

"Why are you choking?" She gave me a weird, double-chin face as I continued to cough. "It's not the first time I blurt out the first thing that comes to my mind." She said as I looked at her through watery eyes.

"I'm alright, thanks for asking." I sarcastically retorted, my voice coming out as a rasp. I sounded like I just finished smoking a chimney.

Before she could open her mouth and reply, I saw her eyes trailing behind me. The best thing? Her ears went red and her cheeks got tainted with a creamy shade of pink. I knew it.

I turned around, meeting the green orbs that belonged to my other best friend. Beside him stood Ron, who gave Ginny a weird look.

"Hermione, they are leaving. We're gathering in the courtyard." Harry said, and it was enough to trigger a heart and stomach contortion. I slowly nodded, turning around and motioning Ginny to get up with me.

"All right." I answered, a heavy weight replacing my internals.

The walk towards the place where friendships will be split, tears will be shed and relationships will be broken was too torturous. The four of us stood quietly beside each-other, the only thing that could be heard was the distant murmuring of the crowd and our shoes hitting the ground rather slowly. To say that I wasn't ready to say good-bye, even if we parted a long time ago, was understandable.

Before I had time to manage my chaotic thoughts, my face was being stroked by the warmth of the sun. I was greeted with the sight of so many students grabbing each other, hugging the person as tightly as they could, before they eventually had to let go. I love you-s, see you soon-s and goodbye-s danced together, merging and creating a melancholic melody which were sung by the birds.

I stood there, my eyes roaming the crowd carefully. I've been preparing for this day ever since I started developing a crush on Viktor. I've braced myself for the heart-wrenching feeling, where your lungs felt small and your heart felt heavy. Every tear that tainted the ground, that fell from a fellow acquiantance of mine, felt like a knife stabbing my stomach. I tried to stay composed, to not let my guard down, but all it took was one flicker of those onyx eyes to bring my walls crumbling down.