Chapter 1: Sisters

Sweat trickled down from her head to her chin, desperately trying to get her attention which was on a piece of paper she was signing. Dark clouds covered the once blue skies of Arendelle while the queen - once again - isolated herself in the four corners of her study along with her paperworks. She did it not because of her power over ice and snow but instead, it's because of her duties and responsibilities as the powerful ruler of Arendelle's fair kingdom.

People are incredibly fortunate if ever they're able to sneak a glance at her pale face, platinum blonde hair, and slender figure whenever she steps out but only her dearly beloved sister, Princess Anna, has the pleasure of seeing her that often. They were inseparable and would not let go of each other whenever they're together, even if it means hiding from dignitaries who are looking for them - specifically, Queen Elsa. She maybe a ghost to the kingdom but not to Anna who is finally able to spend some quality time with her older sister and there's nothing better than that for both of them, not even their titles.

Knock knock knock knock knock

A grin made it's way on her face as she lifts her gaze to meet the huge wooden door, a small divider that separates her from the corridors of the castle and to whoever it was on the other side. With those kind of knocks, she already knew who the person - she is. "Come in, Anna." she said calmly, keeping a smile on her face.

After a few moments, the door swung open and Anna bursted in. She skipped to where her sister is just like Elsa imagined she would do. Predictable Anna. The princess slammed her palms on the desk, making a moderate thud and immediately grabbing Elsa's interest at what she has to say. "Elsa," she began, her heart pounding like it's going to explode in excitement. It had been quite some time since they regained their sisterly bond - albeit she was having the time of her life, a question kept pestering her every night. She wanted to ask Elsa again, hoping her sister's answer would change but she was always too afraid to, too afraid of rejection.

Today, she decided to push that fear away just like what Elsa did with hers. "Do you want to build a snowman?" she stammered but a small sigh of relief escaped her lips as she finished, finally able to breathe out easily knowing that she finally did what she wanted to do. "No matter what Elsa will say," she mused. "I'll be okay."

Anna's heartbeat continued to race while waiting for her sister's response which took longer than a painful minute. Thoughts swirled in her mind as to what Elsa's answer might be but she kept calm, her blue eyes looking directly at her sister's icy ones.

"I'm sorry." Anna said when Elsa's speechless reaction began to tear her heart like a piece of useless paper. She couldn't take it and she believes that neither can Elsa. The question brings up too many memories - both happy and painful - making her consider her own request as an insensitive one. She knew quite well what Elsa and herself had gone through and it made her feel horrible for asking something that would make them remember it all. Anna looked away from her sister's gaze as she held back the tears that was beginning to fall.

With regret, she regained her posture and lowered her head in embarrassment. "Yes." her head shot back up as her eyes went wide in shock while looking at her sister who is - unexpectedly - smiling. "I would love to build a snowman. I'm sorry it took so long for me to answer." Elsa said, tears welling up as her eyes began to glisten like crystals. Insead of stopping it, she didn't and allowed the tears to roll out and fall to the papers on her desk, soaking it in an instant.

Can't hold it back anymore.

"You don't know how long I've waited for you to ask me again." she continued. She wiped away the tears she shed and flinched when she felt Anna's arms wrap her in a tight embrace. She hugged her back, relishing the feeling of warmth and comfort in the arms of the only family she has left.

They both released but Anna kept her tight grip on Elsa's arms like her life depended on it. Her eyes where full of emotions but on her lips, a smile is painted. Something only Anna can make, the same one that could make Elsa and the others smile as well. "What are we waiting for?" Anna exclaimed while dragging Elsa away from the desk. Elsa, albeit hesitant to go knowing how much work she has, gave up and scrammed out of the door with Anna. Without a care in the world, they ran through the corridors, making noise like children who felt free for the first time.

No could tell us what a princess should be. As long as we're together, you and me.

~~~

"I win!" Anna's voice echoed in the throne room which is now a winter wonderland for both of them. Just like before, the ground was covered in white as two huge mountain of snow was built as forts while a small, inanimate Olaf-like snowman stood at the side, watching them. Unlike Elsa who wore a simple dress, Anna wore a thick set of winter clothes, obviously not immune to the cold like her sister

They had been playing for quite some time but they didn't care. Their responsibilities was pushed out of their minds as they throw yet another set of snowballs at each other. "How dare you beat the snow queen at her own game!" Elsa smirked playfully when Anna got her. With a snap of a finger, she created a huge ball of snow out of nowhere, tempting Anna run away knowing her fort is too little to cover her from her sister's wrath. After catching up to her, Elsa aimed and tossed the snowball at her, quickly burying the little princess in a thick sheet of snow.

Elsa held her belly as she laughed uncontrollably at her sister's fate, wiping the tears that were beginning to build up then laugh again. "Never underestimate the power of snow and ice." she said in between giggles. She was - for the first time in forever - not in proper posture!

After a few moments of silence, Elsa's expression turned into a more horrific one after she realized that Anna did not return from her attack. "Anna?" she called out but silence is the only answer she received. Her heart began to pound wildly as she remembered when Anna nearly froze to death because of her.

The memory was too painful, too fragile to remember. Reliving it is complete torture for Elsa. "This is not funny, Anna!" she yelled, placing her trembling hands near her chest. When Anna did not answer again, she rushed to where she was and began to dig nervously. Sure, she can use her magic to thaw snow but there is currently no love in her heart, only fear, making her unable to.

She was just about to lose hope when Anna jumped out of the snow, grinning playfully like she usually does. "I got you!" she chuckled. With a sighed of relief, Elsa hugged her, squeezing her body tight. Before any of them could react, Kai cleared his throat, making them turn their gaze to him. "Sorry to bother you both but I really need to talk to you, my queen." he informed. His face was serious and in a way, scared. Elsa, seeing his unusual expression, stood up and went with Kai, leaving the dumbfounded Anna alone in the throne room.

"What is it?" she asked when they were finally away. Kai began to hesistate, looking at all directions except on his queen while Elsa - on the other hand - forced herself to calm down and breathe normally. Millions of negative thoughts got to her head but still, she kept telling herself that maybe it's just a problem in the castle or in the kingdom. She tried to fool herself but to no avail. She knew Kai very well, almost to the extent that she could read his mind because he had been there every since she and Anna were little girls.

She knew he wouldn't act like that if it wasn't something big. "Your highness," he stuttered. She eyed him with confusion while he continued to look around, refusing to make eye contact with her. After a moment of absolutely nothing but silence, he finally continued the sentence that kept making her heart race in fear. "It's about Prince Hans." Elsa's eyes went wide in shock as she gripped her dress tightly that she thought she might rip it by accident.

That's the name of the man who haunted her dreams and turned them into nightmares ever since the great thaw. That's the name of the man who broke her little sister's heart. That's the name of the man who fooled them - tried to killed them both in search for power. That's the name of that man.