Chapter 9: Stubborn

Silence, nothing but the clacking sound of the kitchen utensils hitting their fancy, silver platter, though, it's not that loud since that they were taught not to make any noise whilst eating. And of course, as queen, she sat at the head of the table, at her right is her sister, at her left is the guest, and beside the princess is Kristoff.

Just Kristoff, he would always say. They aren't married yet after all, but everyone hopes - sees that it will lead to that someday, and that it wouldn't hurt to call him a prince - he just doesn't want to.

The meal soon ended, leaving them in the unbearable silence; and Elsa knew that she should be the one to conduct the conversation, so she did.

"So, Prince Albert, how's your stay here in Arendelle?" she asked.

Their guest, a rather charming man, smiled at her. "Grand, your majesty." Then he smirked playfully.

She knew he's teasing, seeing how he used the same answer she used on him, and though she'll never show it - not to him, anyway - but she wasn't impressed, not in the slightest. It's not that she hated those sort of thing, it just felt different - not to mention that it bothers her - when it comes from a complete stranger.

"I really do appreciate your hospitality. Thank you." he continued, and she figured that it's because she didn't respond, and it's embarrassing.

She smiled at him in return. "You're very welcome, and please inform me if you need anything. I'll do my best to provide it to you." she said as she stood up, placing her delicate hands in front of her. Then, everyone's eyes turned to her, baffled. "I need to check on something. Please excuse me."

"Where are you going?" Anna asked, a brow raised.

She bit her lip, her eyes nervously roaming the entire room. "Somewhere. But I'll be back, I promise."

And with one flick of a finger, Kai hurriedly came to her, and she said something to him, and she made sure not to let them hear. Kai bowed, then walked to who knows where; while she, still as poised as ever, made her way out of the hall.

It's not that she hated guest, or closure, or people - other than Anna and Kristoff, that is - but the way he looks at her made her feel uneasy, and instead of pulling her in, intriguing her, it pushed her farther away. She's an observant, a clever one at that, and she listens more to herself, and she knew for a fact that he bothers her.

With Kai following behind her, a tray of food and a glass of water in his hands, she knew she found a perfect reason to excuse herself and leave, and now, she stood in front of his cell, her hand knocking softly on the huge metal door. The guard opened the door for her, and the sight of him sitting, staring blankly on the window, greeted her, and it's the warmest welcome she received from him.

He looked at them, his face dark, but, his enchanting green eyes sparkling.

She came in, and Kai followed. She took the tray from his hand and dismissed him, and he obeyed. He kept staring at her, his eyes focused and immovable, and on his lips, a grin.

"What?" she asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

He chuckled forcibly. "Give it back." he said.

"Give what back?" she asked, a hint of nervousness in her voice.

"My blade." he answered. " I know you took it , your majesty."

Then, she smiled. She placed her hand on her pocket and pulled out an old, rusty blade, some bloodstains still visible on it. He desperately made his way near the bars, reaching out his hands to beg for his blade, but she has other plans, and she held onto it instead of returning it.