Chapter 11: Insanity

Author’s note: Super late update. Sorry. Lol. I’ve been very busy during these past few weeks, so yeah. Anyways, here’s the next chapter. Sorry if it's shorter than my previous chapters tho. Haha. Enjoy!

~~~

He, a mere prisoner, was crossing the border, invading her zone, her space. It took a moment but she finally came back to her senses, shoved him away, and slapped him. Hard. She couldn’t figure out what just happened, and how weak was she to give in just like that. It wasn’t intended, she didn’t mean to close her eyes and like it. No. Yet, she did. She would never admit it, not to anyone and especially not to Anna, not even to herself, but there’s something there that had made her stay still for a second or more. And she knew, from the start, just how sinful that was, that even a touch from him was like a curse to Anna, yet even her own sister became a blur when their lips touched, when he caressed her shoulders, and held her face, and untied her braid.

She was looking at him, then, muttering curses and prayers, prayers and curses, hoping what they did can somehow be erased. She would like that very much, not as a queen whose reputation matters most – though really, her reputation is at stake – but as a sister, as Anna’s sister.

And there he was, looking back at her, his eyes just as wide as hers, just as terrified.

“I –“

She backed away and made her exit before he can even say what was lingering in his mind, and she wasn’t sure but she thought she heard him call her name as she was running. It sounded so sweet in his voice, from his lips that were on hers just moments ago.

No, Elsa.

Insanity – that’s what she supposed. Maybe she’s bonkers? Gaga? Nuts? Because she swore she would never love anyone who’s undoubtedly nefarious – namely, Hans Westerguard. But then, there she is, all the same, still trying to remember if she kissed him back or not. And, she remembered, she did.

“Dang it.” she muttered as she stomped away, her hands clenched firmly.

She had just made it to the front of her room when someone yelled Elsa. And, by the sound of the voice, and the absence of her title as queen, she knew it was Anna. She turned, the faintest smile plastered on her pale face.

“Yes?” she asked.

Anna raised her hand to stop her as she was catching her breath, then she spoke. “How have you been? How’s the meeting? Is the menace gone?”

“Whoa, wait. Slow down.” she said, chuckling. “Firstly, I’m fine. Secondly, it went well. Thirdly,”

But how can she?

She gulped. “No.”

Anna’s eyes grew wide in terror. “Wait, what?”

“Listen, Anna, calm down.” she warned.

“I am.”

Then Anna exhaled.

“Hans will stay here under my supervision because it’s the best option for us. I hope you understand.” she said. “I know you want to be as far away from him as possible – I do, too, believe me – but I’m prioritizing our safety. You know how he escaped. Sure, weak and wounded, but he got out. I don’t think the Southern Isles is capable of handling such a man, and I think it’s safer if I myself would monitor him every once in a while. Okay?”

Anna looked away, thinking, then she nodded. “Okay.”

~~~

He sat alone in his cold cell, as usual, his head in the clouds, his stare as blank as an unused sheet of paper. The metal door clicked and he quickly assumed.

“Elsa?”

But it wasn’t her. It was a guard.

“That’s Queen Elsa to you, prisoner. Don’t disrespect her majesty.”

That’s the downside of it – expectations lead to disappointments – because, at times, things don’t happen even with the perfect scenario on loop in a person’s head.

“Where’s Elsa – Queen Elsa?” he queried, his eyes set downcast.

The guard scowled at him. “If you must know, she’s with the princess.”

“Oh,” he mumbled. “Can I talk to her?”

It was a serious question, but the guard chuckled mockingly. “You can,” he said sarcastically. “But you may not. She doesn’t want to talk to you, see? If she does, she should’ve stayed here.”

As much as he wanted to smack the lights out of the guard, he knew he was right. She doesn’t want to talk to him. Who is he kidding, anyway? She’s the sky, he’s the ground – or even deeper than that. She’s a giraffe, he’s a mere ant. She’s Her Royal Highness, Queen Elsa of Arendelle, while he, well, he’s this. The menace. And he knew, from the start, when he saw her after he escaped, that it will forever be like that. Again, who is he kidding, anyway?