Chapter 6: Turned tables

Elsa absent-mindedly wandered through the corridors, allowing her feet to take her where it would want to go. Left, right, then left again. Her eyebrows furrowed in deep thought, thinking of how she would explain to Anna her lie and her reason for lying in the first place.

Kai, Gerda, and the other servants bowed at her as she walked but with the way her index finger is place near her lips, they didn't expect a reply nor even a word from her - and they were right. Not even a 'Good morning' nor a 'Hello' came.

Elsa is too caught up with Hans, Anna, the kingdom, and her work that her mind is too pre-occupied to even spare a thought for them. She muttered a few words of regret as she continued her expedition to who knows where.

Finally, she found herself walking through the corridor where the bedrooms and guestrooms are located. Instead of stopping at her own room like she should do, her feet carried her to walk a little farther - specifically, Anna's room which used to be theirs. "Anna," she called but silence was the only answer she received.

Knock knock knock knock knock

This time, it was her turn to knock like Anna always does. Her hands were trembling but she forced herself to calm down; telling herself that everything's fine. She sighed in hopelessness but then an idea ringed in her mind. The possibility that it could bring Anna back to her is way too high, just as high as its childishness. Desperation took over as she brushed off the doubt that filled her, forcing herself to go with the plan she had constructed.

"Do you want to build a snowman?" she sang loudly. "Come on, let's go and play. I never see you anymore, come out the door. It's like you've gone away." Elsa never realized how heartbreaking those simple lines were. Now that she's the one on Anna's shoes, singing the song Anna used to sing, she began to understand how Anna felt. The pain, the loneliness, and the constant question that kept pestering her mind: 'When is she going to open the door for me?'

"It must've been - no." she stopped as she mentally corrected herself. "It is torture." she mused yet, she continued to sing.

"We used to be best buddies and now we're not. I wish you would tell me why." And that's where she broke down. Her voice cracked, her tears spilled out, and her breath hitched. They all went off at the same time as if on cue. Elsa couldn't take it, the emotional pain it caused is far too much for her to conceal thus making her wonder how Anna did, how Anna sang the song without breaking down at least once.

But maybe, she thought, Anna did what she is currently doing, enduring. Still, with tears gushing out of her eyes, she pushed herself to continue.

"Do you want to build a snowman? It doesn't - It doesn't have to be a snowman." she finished up. Calmy, she waited for a response or at least a few words from Anna but then, nothing. Nothing but the enveloping silence and her light sobs. She sat on the floor and leaned, her back facing the huge door that separated her from her sister. In her mind, she wouldn't be surprised if Anna would say something like: 'Go away, Elsa!' or 'I don't want to talk to you, Elsa!' because she knew she deserved every bit of it.

Suddenly, the door swung open causing Elsa to fall flat on her back painfully. She winced but then Anna, who seemed to had just woken up from a nap, held her elbows and helped her up. "What are you - doing here, Elsa?" Anna asked, yawning and rubbing her weary eyes.

"A - Anna," Elsa muttered silently. Anna looked at her sister with an eyebrow raised, puzzled at the reason why she would even be at her doorstep at that time of the day.

"I am so - so sorry for hiding the news from you. I didn't want you to worry so I thought that maybe - maybe its for the best if I keep it from you. I know you loved -"

"It's alright, Elsa. I understand." Elsa's words were cut short as Anna spoke, smiling genuinely like she usually does. "And besides," she began.

"I loved him and I broke my own heart by doing so. Although, I have to be honest. I may have Kristoff now but still, it hurts seeing that poor excuse of a man." she stopped and leaned into Elsa's ear.

"But, believe it or not, he kept a promise." Anna whispered. Elsa looked at her, perplexed at what she could mean by the promise he kept seeing that as far as she knows, he didn't keep any of the promises he made. "What promise?" Elsa asked.

"He promised to never shut me out. I have to admit that he never did. Instead, he shut me in, locked the door, and left me to die." They covered their mouth as they chuckled quite loudly. After calming themselves, Anna took a deep breath, sighed, and spoke again.

"I should be the one apologizing and not you, Elsa. I was so infatuated by him to the point that I was able to disobey you and put all of Arendelle in jeopardy. I was the one who left him in charge. I was the one who made things worse. I'm sorry." she said as she hugged Elsa, prompting Elsa to hug her back.

"He's not worth my tears, I know, but I'll admit that I am not alright and I'm sure that it'll take me some time to be alright." she said.

Elsa tightened her embarace, squeezing Anna's shoulders and burying her face to Anna's strawberry blonde locks. "And I'll be right here along the way. I promise." Elsa said, smiling.

~~~

A small ray on sunlight entered the cold, dark cell of the once well-respected prince. He cursed at it's presence, wanting to live alone in suffocating darkness and - preferrably - die in it too. With one swift move, he buried his face on his filthy palms, trying to think everything through like a puzzle.

The Southern Isles which he never considered as his home, his twelve big brothers who mean so little to him, seeing the queen and wooing the princess of Arendelle, being in charge of Arendelle, then failure.

He was so close - one step away, to be exact - yet everyhing went crumbling down on him, slapping him with the hard truth that he will never be king, never be acknowledge by anyone other than his mother who, unfortunately, died back when he was still a little boy. She was the only one who really loved him and her unexpected farewell destroyed him, emotionally and mentally. He hated that. He knew he'd rather accept a full year of beating from his brother than to go through that.

"Hans," he remembered her words, as clear as the glass they use during their meals. That sweet, comforting voice of the mother he wishes was still by his side to that day. "You are going to be a great man someday. I am sure of it." she continued, lulling him to oblivion. The sound of her voice echoed in his head, but it didn't bother him. In fact, he loved it for he misses it more than anything he ever lost.

He gripped his hair, trying to stop the pounding sensation in his head which can only signifies that his eyes will soon get soaked in his own tears. The thumping refused cease but fortunately for him, it was bearable and not as intense as his previous ones.

Clang!

Hans covered his ears as something hard hits the huge metal door, making a loud thud which only increased the pain in his temple even more. Momentarily, a guard came in and stood at the side, glaring at him.

In return, he looked vilely at the guard, cursing him silently for hated the way the man looked at him like he is some sort of caged animal. Soon enough, his attention was turned to a woman with wintry blonde hair. She entered moments after the guard, her heels clacking in the same way as Anna's. "Hello, Hans." she stated calmly as she walked quite elegantly near the bars, near him.