Chapter 4: The escapee

As Elsa kept herself busy with her work, Anna stayed out of her way to give her the space and peace she begged to have. She was always suspiciously quiet and nervous but Anna kept telling herself that everything's fine and that whatever it is, Elsa can handle it. While running around the halls like she usually does, Anna accidentally bumped into something cold, making her fall to the ground with a loud thump which echoed throughout the whole corridors.

She rubbed her aching elbow which broke her fall then turned her gaze to look at who - or in this case - what she bumped into. It's Olaf with his personal flurry, grinning happily while rearranging his disassembled body parts. "Anna!" he greeted, completely oblivious that Anna got hurt because of the unexpected fall.

Nonetheless, Anna got up, spread her arms out wide and attacked Olaf with his favorite thing in the world, a warm hug. "Warm hugs for Olaf!" she eccstaticly yelled. Olaf, on the other hand, did not hesistate to wrap his branches for arms to hug the little princess back.

"I missed you. The place isn't as lively without you around. By the way, when did you get back from Kristoff's work?" she said; her pace got quicker and quicker with every word but fortunately for her, Olaf understood them just fine. "Just now." he giggled adorably. "I came with Kristoff and Sven. Enough about me, how are you and Elsa? Speakig of Elsa, where is she?" Olaf looked around frantically as if Elsa was just around the corner but she's not.

"I'm sorry but she's busy, Olaf." she stammered as she regrettingly broke his excitement. Even so, Olaf smiled widely at her then he spoke, "We should go see her after she's done. She's probably exhausted - being queen and all. I'll ask the guy in the kitchen to make her some soup." That was the last thing he said before waddling off, probably going to get that soup he was talking about.

Anna stared at him leave, realizing how he is very much like Elsa in more ways than one. He's caring, protective, and very selfless to the point that he would literally melt for her just like Elsa would probably do.

~~~

"Move and I'll freeze you!" Elsa growled, her hand raised to defend herself from the auburn hair and menacing green eyes that stood right before them. Out of nowhere, he arrived in the fair kingdom of Arendelle, beaten and wounded, alerting everyone and causing a panic so big that she was forced to leave her castle just to see it for herself. Some guards aimed their swords at him, some held his arms, some surrounded him but Elsa stayed still, looking at him in pure anger.

Bystanders are gathered up around them, watching the scene like a movie which it certainly isn't. He stared at her closely, his eyes locked on hers whilst her threats and the people's side comments passed him like air. It didn't bother him, the same way the cold never bothered Elsa. Everyone's eyes were still glued to them as they continued looking for the right words to say to each other.

Gossips could be heard from the people, some of them despising the treacherous prince that is now among them. On the other hand, many of the people - specifically the young men - admired the queen's beautiful figure and graceful movements as their jaw dropped at the sight of her. Some couldn't avert their gazes as they enter a trance-like state just by seeing her at a close distance.

"I'm not here to cause any trouble for you or the people." he stated. Despite the months he spent in a high security prison which turned out to be nothing but trash and a complete waste of effort, he was able to maintain his princely posture, reserved attitude, and looks that is above average on men despite how injured he is - which she must admit is true.

"Then why are you here? Aren't you contented with what you've already done?" Elsa gritted her teeth as she refused to lower her hands, not even an inch knowing how dangerous and cunning he is.

Seeing how a few days was enough for him to nearly conquer Arendelle, a mere second with her defense lowered is undoubtedly enough for him to take her down and finish the business he left before he was dragged back to the Southern Isles. To kill her.

I'm not here to cause any trouble for you or the people.

Elsa wanted to believe it for there is nothing better than to make peace with him but she knew it's too good to be true and that it's all a lie, a line in the play he's performing right in front of them. "What is it that you want, Hans?" Elsa exclaimed while glaring coldly at him but he proved to be better at the game than her. His glare is colder, sharper, and more intimidating than hers will ever be but still, she refused to give in to him.

Fear kicked in as she stopped herself from listening to the venomous thoughts that kept swirling in her mind, telling her to shoot directly at his heart then run back to her solitude. She knew he deserves it and more but she's too soft-hearted, too merciful and that made her spineless.

She knows for a fact that she cannot intentionally kill anyone, not even him who was once a step away from destroying their life. "I'm sure all of you have heard about my escape." he announced to the crowd quite confidently.

"Don't be alarmed for I came here to not to cause any harm to her majesty, Queen Elsa, Princess Anna, and all of you." His words were too formal to be heartfelt but Elsa tried her hardest to comprehend it. Still, she didn't let her guard down and continued with the act she's putting on. "How can you expect me - us to believe you, oh great prince?" she mocked him with his own title making him avert his gaze from her and look at the crowd who are all bewildered at his words.

"Is this what you were hiding from me?" Everyone looked at the owner of the voice who turned out to be none other than Princess Anna herself. She went out of the shadows and into the light, shocking everyone with her mysterious, one-of-a-kind entrance; even Hans.

"Anna, I-" Elsa tried to explain but not another word came out of her mouth. It's as if her voice had disappeared or maybe she's just at lost for words.

"Let me handle this, Elsa." Anna balled her hands into fists, infuriated at the prince who was held captive by the guards. Everyone moved out of her way as she walked closer, and closer, and closer to where he is.

"What do you want?" she scoffed at him as he pulled out a frown in response. Here he was, looking at the girl who was once supposed to be his wife, his open door to the throne. The girl who he thought died. He answered her with a glare, his breath quickened in both nervousness and fear. Anna, albeit being the younger and the weaker of the two, is a lot more intimidating than the snow queen herself. She gritted her teeth as she snapped.

"I don't have any intention of talking to you in public but if you may," she stopped in mid-sentence as she turned to look at the guards surrounding Hans. With a nod, they understood what she meant and began to literally drag the prince towards the castle. Everyone began to go crazy; pushing each other just to catch a glimpse of how he was taken away in their princess' orders.

Elsa stayed confound at the scene, amazed at how Anna can now carry herself that properly and maturely unlike before. Expectedly, Anna would smack the lights out of him on the spot, just like how she did after Elsa thawed the whole kingdom but instead, she didn't. "I'd like to talk to him in private. I hope that's okay with you. It'll only take a few minutes, I promise."

Elsa wanted to object, to complain and tell her that he's way too dangerous to be around with but Anna was way ahead of her. She's already on the guards tail on the way to the castle, the dungeon specifically, where Hans would stay in.

Author's note: Hi! I decided to update today because it's the 2nd of July! Hah! It's me and my friends' 1st anniversary so to celebrate, I updated.

I made a Kristanna one-shot and it will published along with the next update for Almost and TFSODA which is on the 8th of July.

Thank you for reading and have a good day!