03

—

alaska walked down the hallways of the school, looking at every passing door trying to find the one printed with the words "library" on it.
she really wasn't sure if zachary would be in there, but she thought it was worth a shot considering he was such a book worm and would probably do his large load of school work in there.
she came across a large wooden door that said "library" on it, finally.
she walked inside and the aroma of cinnamon and leaves filled her nostrils.
she walked past the many bookshelves, stopping when she thought she saw a brunette boy sitting at a table nearby.
she walked closer and saw that there were many papers scattered around his table, which she didn't find unusual. his usual books of advanced european, advanced english, etc.
his back was to her, and as she stood right behind him, she saw two books. one labeled "the history of austere academy" and the other labeled " psychosis: taking over the world"
as she read those book covers, a shiver went down her spine.
could zachary know about what's going on? it's a little strange as to why he would have those books, and it being a coincidence of what alaska just found out.
there's only way to find out what he knows.
"do you know about them too?" she asked in whisper, referring to the two teachers.
zachary did not flinch nor get scared at the sudden voice.
he simply got up and grabbed alaska by the arm, dragging her down with him behind a shelf where he was sitting.
"do you mean about mr harris and mrs squalor and how they talk about taking over the world, while involving our intelligence and how it could be useful?" he asked very quickly, but somehow alaska was able to comprehend it.
she quickly nodded signaling she understood everything he said.
"how did you even hear about? i thought i was the only one. everyone else in this whole damn school seems delusional to it."
"i was going to my dorm when I first heard them. then i was walking outside the courtyard where me & isaac heard them talking all about taking over the world and, we'll, everything you just said." finished alaska.
"so isaac knows?" asked zachary.
alaska just nodded and asked him another question, to which he replied.
"how long have you known? why haven't you told isaac? my mind is all over the place right now."
"it's okay, i was like that at first too. but im 99.9% positive this is no hoax. ive done so much research, as you can tell, and im sure that somethings going on at this school with those teachers. i never told isaac because he has something called anxiety. he gets it bad and i didn't want him to worry or overthink and make him get an attack. but now that all three of us know, we have to figure this out."
after all what zachary said, it all made sense to alaska.
"i find it funny how you're only 16, but remind me of a wise 70 year old man."
"alaska!"
"right, sorry, i just thought it was funny." she said and continued to giggle.
the two sat down at the table that zachary was once sitting at before. the two talked about the possible theories and possibilities of their situation for about 45 minutes, before in came a sweaty-red faced isaac.
he slumped down on a seat in front the two others, before chugging down a bottle of water in his bag.
"what are you guys doing? you told him everything, right alaska? god, i'm so fucking tired, and i still decided to run here." panted isaac.
"calm down, isaac, i know. i have known longer than the two of you."
"what? why did you never tell me??" questioned isaac, still shook of the whole situation.
"that's not important right now. what is tho, is that we figure all of this craziness out." zachary said while flipping through pages of the many books he had on his table.
zachary & alaska caught isaac up on what they were talking about before he arrived.
they all agreed to keep their information of the situation on the down low and just keep a close eye on mr harris and mrs squalor. and if any funny business happens, they talk to each other immediately.
the lights in the library began to darken, signaling that it was closing.
isaac looked at his watch and spoke "it's 7:00."
zachary began to pack up all his things in his bag and they made their way out the library.
"waking down these halls don't feel the same now. it gives me the hibbi-gibbies" stated isaac as they walked down the hall where it was the dormitories. boys to the left. girls to the right.
the three laughed and the boys walked alaska to her dorm.
before turning the corner to get to her room, they noticed something strange.
rachel willis and mr harris talking.
they hid behind the wall before the turn to look at them and try to hear their conversations.
sadly they were too far and the chat between them was mute to the three's ears.
"of course! why didn't i think of that!?" zachary exclaimed, writing something down in his notepad.
"what?" exclaimed isaac & alaska.
"mr. harris is rachels step father. there has to be something connected there!"
"like you think she has something to do with this?" isaac asked
"i think so" replied zachary, "it would kind of make sense"
alaska raised her eyebrow and looked at the two boys.
"i'll keep an eye on her. maybe even that odelia girl could know something. she doesn't talk much though.
"yeah, but when she does she's a bitc-"
a voice cut off isaac. "excuse me, mr. hart. do not use that language at this school, thank you. what are you doing in the girls dormitories anyways? it's after 7:00" mr. harris said, glaring at the three.
they were all younger twisted and surprised that he was standing in front of them.
"we-we were j-just walking alas-aska to her dormitory, sir. but we'll leave now." zachary said as clear as he could.
"alright." mr. harris said lastly, before eyeing the three once more and walking away.
"it's okay. my dorms just right there. i'll see you guys tomorrow for my first day?" smiled alaska, trying to bring something else up.
"oh yeah! purty lady here, starts hell tomorrow." isaac wrapped an arm around alaskas shoulder and stated.
alaska nudged him off of her, but couldn't help but smile and get butterflies.
zachary just stood firmly and rolled his eyes playfully at isaac.
the two wished her good luck for the following morning and parted ways.
all of their minds stuck on the idea still of what the two teachers may be up to.
as alaska walked into her room, she noticed that rachel was sound asleep as she goes to bed "promptly at 7:15"
odelia was no where to be seen, alaska assumed she was probably in the bathroom.
as she walked over to her bed, she noticed a light blue book under a pile of pillows on the floor.
she leaned down, picked it up, and examined it.
in black words, "Odelias Diary" was printed.
she knew it was wrong to snoop through it, even if she is a bitch like isaac always said.
she placed it back in its place, but a page that was loose fell out and fell into her lap.
alaska couldn't believe her eyes at what she was reading.
"dear, diary today was a crappy day once again. rachel made me say the rudest of things to people she doesn't like. my social anxiety was killing me by doing that. and in addition, she keeps making me starve myself to fit into that homecoming dress she picked out for me. i don't even like it! she also told me about this plan her step dad has. taking over the world with his evil schemes and once all the students are at their last year here, he'll brainwash them into thinking"
"what are you reading?" and alaska looked up, to see the one and only, odelia fremont looking down at her.