Chapter 523

I'm twenty-one years old. I'm sitting on a couch in a crappy little apartment that makes me feel claustrophobic as soon as I walk in the front door. It's the kind of place that on the outside looks like it could use some freshening up, and then on the inside you realize that there is no freshening that could fix the shit wrong with the building.

My ridiculously bitchy girlfriend, Kandiss, is whining in the bathroom about how her skin is breaking out again. Maybe if she wasn't such a cunt all of the time, she wouldn't be so stressed, and her forehead would clear.

Probably not, though. It's about time the outside reflects the inside.

What, you think I'm mean? She's cheating on me, you know. Or she has at least once. The proof is goo-ing and gaa-ing in the crib in the corner.

That's the only reason I'm still here. I definitely don't love the girl anymore, but daddy fucked off and his four-month-old baby really doesn't have a parent.

Not like I'm really a model parent. I don't like kids, and I don't know the first thing about raising them properly. Look at my fucking role model.

But at least I know that the thing needs food, clean diapers, and attention.

Kandiss is much too self absorbed to care about those things. Every day when I get home from work I half expect the kid to be dead.

I actually expected the kid to be dead before it was born. I thought for sure the amount of drugs Kandiss was doing before she found out she was pregnant would have killed it for sure. She quit everything cold turkey, just the shock of it... it's a wonder the baby survived, and as healthy as it is.

But I still feel sorry for it. Kandi's an idiot. And as much as I'm somewhat of a parental figure, it doesn't change the fact that I have no blood relation to it. The little shit machine is a product of infidelity. Excuse me if I have a hard time loving it. Especially because it looks up at me with that same dumb expression that Kandiss gives me when I ask her to do something.

That 'duh, how do I use the vacuum again?' expression.

Don't ever get into a serious relationship with a blonde.

Honestly, I'm really starting to think that the superstitions are true. They're all dumb as fuck. Mom's a blonde and I have no clue how I lived past birth.

And this baby is probably going to be blonde, too. Raised by Kandiss, she'll surely also be dumb.

The kid starts to wail.

"Oh God, not again!" Kandi can whine just as well as the baby can. "Please, make it stop!" She makes it sound like I can just tap an off switch. I sigh.

I cross the room to the crib and look down at the little critter. It looks pissed. Sorry, I guess the damn thing has a gender. It's a girl. She looks pissed. Learns how to be bitchy from her mommy, I guess.

Her name is Laura. Kind of a stupid name for a baby, I think, but I didn't really have any say in the matter. Not like I wanted a say, but Laura? How unoriginal. I guess it's better than Persephone. Ugh.

Laura's extra pissed now that I'm picking her up. She just doesn't want to be consoled. Just like mommy, she just wants to bitch and scream and have everyone just take it.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

I start to sing the first few lines of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. I always thought that song would be a great lullaby. I start to walk around in circles, kind of bouncing. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but I've seen other people do it, so it's got to be what you're supposed to do with a baby.