Chapter 6

"Please go over the altercation again." The bullshit lawyer says to me, leaning on my podium. She's an idiot. I already know that Mom's lawyer, the talented Mr. Kai Nyugen, is going to kick the shit out of this case. And this is my moment to shine, the icing on the cake.

"I was working the door." I say slowly, my eyes big, round and innocent. "The man paid me, and then offered to buy me a drink. I told him no, I can't drink on the job." I take a deep breath, for effect. Thank you, drama camp. "He kept bothering me-"

"What did he say, when he was bothering you?" The bitch interrupts me, and if this weren't so important I'd bust her fucking head open.

"He... he kept making crude comments." I visibly shudder. "About my body." My eyes swell a little with tears and there's a murmur in the crowd. 

 My attacker's mother, or who I assume to be his mother, is sitting in the front row, bawling her eyes out. Bitch, maybe if you didn't raise a douche bag, this wouldn't have happened. 

He's so injured that he's still in the hospital. They got a very garbled statement from him while he was in and out of consciousness.

"And then he just attacked you?" The lawyer asks, incredulity in her voice. I think at this point she knows she's lost. She's just trying to make me sound like a liar, now. 

Honey, you don't know how good of a liar I am.

"I asked him, very politely, to leave me alone." I blink back the tears. "And then he..." I clench my jaw, as if swallowing a sob. "He grabbed me by the hair and slammed my head down on the table... and then he started to drag me towards the door..." I let the tears fall and hang my head. More murmurs in the crowd. This is just too easy.

Everyone else that was in the bar that night, including my coworkers, and Dexter's band, have already testified. He has more people defending him than bees in a hive.

"And that's when the accused hit him." She says with contempt, as if it's the worst thing in the world. Hell, I know I didn't deserve saving, but I need the judge to think I did. 

And he will.

"It all happened so fast." I sob, and pause, trying to compose myself. "I don't think he meant to hurt him so badly... it just happened, he was just trying to help me. If he hadn't... if he hadn't..." I break off into a fresh burst of sobs, unable to speak.

"And you were so afraid that you felt it necessary to assault an officer?" The lawyer sneers at me, and there's a hush over the room.

"I didn't know what was going on!" I cry through my sobs, my face streaming wet as I sniffle uncontrollably. "I was in so much shock... somebody was dragging him away, and then somebody touched me... I didn't want to be touched... I just reacted by instinct..." More uncontrollable, inconsolable sobs. 

Damn I'm good.

It doesn't take long before the judge has heard enough. He declares that Dexter will get off on something similar to a self-defense charge, though I'm not really paying attention to what is being said. I successfully stifle the smile that threatens my face.

Later, I'm sitting with Kai, in a meeting room in the courthouse. He's got a shitload of papers strewn everywhere. This guy is so good.

"That was quite a performance." He says a little stiffly.

"Yours, too." I shoot right back, recalling his examination of my attacker's mother. He'd been the one to put her in tears as she insisted that her baby would never hurt anyone. I was surprised after Kai's grueling questions the judge didn't put her in jail for raising a stupid son. He'd dug up some serious dirt on the whole family. It was fantastic.