A New Story

Notes :

Quanyuan : Alpha
Tianyin : Beta
Kunze : Omega

I got these terms from reading an abo fic set in a Nirvana in Fire AU. The author said they got it from the terms frequently used in a Chinese discord channels. I think it fits better with this particular setting.

________________________________

Yù Rú woke with a violent gasp, instinctively jerking his prone body upwards.

But his jack-knife actions brought a wave of pain throughout his body.

Shuddering with agony, he collapsed into oblivion.

***

The boy from the river woke again today. But fell swiftly back to unconsciousness.

This caused several concerned villagers, soft hearted and compassionately invested in the survival of the mysterious child, to crowd and crane over the fenced courtyard of their village's healer, raising their worry to the old man.

The village healer had warned them of this, but some of them still visited daily in hopes of good news.

"His grievous injuries will cause countless repeat of this episode," the healer said, "as his body repaired itself."

All they can do now is pray for the best.

"Overcoming the traumatic experience, with such a young body, his outcome is in the hands of any watching Benevolence," he said gently, shooing away the latest visitors.

The old man, a tianyin,  discreetly took aside the village headman, a scarred weather-beaten quanyuan, long retired from battlefield, and advised him to have a few trustworthy men seek out news of a missing kunze child.

Though most people would have to wait for puberty to be sure of their eventual presentation, the healer, with his decades of experiences, knew exactly what he was dealing with.

The boy's ears had already shown signs of tapering into the prized 'leaves of the jade tea' and while treating his various injuries, the canny healer with his sharp eyes had detected the faint presence of the famed 'vermilion plume' on the boy's nape. A dead giveaway for his future status.

Slim and unnoticed by casual observations, this biological quirk will one day be flushed bright red, signifying reproductive maturity and the highest level of fertility granted by Nüwa as a blessing to all kunze.

Other secondary markings of this particular presentation could always be waved away as the byproducts of careful upbringing. But one could never truly successfully replicate a kunze's cinnabar mark, even with the aid of the most expensive cosmetics.

The boy was also pleasantly slender with supple flesh, lacking any foundation for the heavy musculature synonymous to the explosive power of a quanyuan's strength or the more compact paddings of a tianyin, hallmarks of their famed endurance.

And the ever present fragrance, inherent within every kunze.

This particular biological characteristic will ebb and flow with his physical condition and level of health.

There were cases of kunze that went through life scentless as any tianyin due to poor health or after surviving horrendous injuries.

The boy is currently scentless, except from the herbal medicine and poultice he was drenched with.

But a faint floral aroma still clung to his original garments, even after being cleaned.

A clear hint.

Judging by the quality of the materials of his clothing, his lustrous hair, and the expanse of unmarked skin on his body, it was very apparent that the child had never been subjected to any harsh situation before in his life.

Somewhere, there must be someone desperately seeking this treasured child.