Unveiled (Part 2)

Irrepressibly attracted by this “unorthodox” venture, the two lordlings paid up their fees and picked up the least fragile looking contraption from the dwindling pile lying by the walls of the Crimson Western Gardens.

Heaving the ladders of their choice,  the two joined the craning, peeking crowd.

***

Xiao Yu had been living in this “flower world” long enough to understand a few underlying key points vital for success in this very cut-throat environs.

It all boils down to a single word, aesthetics.

These people are selling a dream to those foolish enough to waste their scant, short lives. Thus, everything was be done exquisitely. To prolong that one moment before reality sets in.

Their every word, movements, personality, and visuals, all of these are a constant performance art. All of the “young ladies” are on duty, from the moment they wake up till the last blink before slumber. And for those with ties to “personal patrons”, even their sleeping behavior had underwent rigorous training, conditioned and regulated as to not present something unsightly to their pillow companion.

Xiao Yu had also instinctively took to such beautiful deportment. His fingers flew passionately during his music shows, but his posture remained perfect and distant.

Luring people, but staunchly keeping them away.

'Kabukicho host sempais, I will make you proud!'

After years of assuming a persona, it bled through and now even Xiao Yu isn't sure, which part of himself was the “original package set” and which was caused by the “expansion pack”.

In some quiet moments, when the scale of his current situation hits Xiao Yu once again, he wondered about the people he left behind, hoping that the person he now had turned into won't be too unrecognizable to them.

It would be a lie if it was said that there weren't any moments of despair.

But to give up, wallow in sadness, rejecting the reality of life in front of him, would be the height of folly against self, the child that his parents had so carefully and lovingly raised. And a hypocrisy towards all the well meaning persons in his life now.

And so he lived, and laughed, and loved.

In his soft heart, Xiao Yu prayed for blessings to all of his loved ones.

As his fingers danced upon his musical instrument, a stray thought rose in his mind. If this was a drama series, would his character be a favourite with the viewer, or would there be someone  complaining in the fan forums about his OP-ness? Or would his status be relegated as a mere mob character?

Xiao Yu laughed at his thoughts.

***

Standing on a ladder, peeking over a wall, a son of an emperor was inwardly wincing at the numerous censures he would receive if word of this behavior got back to the capital.

He was contemplating on whether or not to climb down and wait out his cousin's enthusiasm for the venture, when sounds of laughter drifted over.

He remembered that laugh.