The Lost Treasure

Idly playing with the strings of a priceless guqin, the ever fashionable Duke Xi cast a bored eye to the endless fluttering of sumptuously made up noble ladies and gentle kunze parading beyond the pavilion he was seated by.

Heaving a beleaguered sigh at the obviousness of their actions, he deduced that his mother-consort's desire for grandchildren had risen it's head again. And manfully restrained himself from fleeing for the hill, from sheer self-preservation instinct. Those preening kunze and prancing tianyin were eyeing him like a side of meat they like to sink their teeth into.

Thankfully, he was upwind. Or else there would be a cloud of intermingling perfumes assaulting his nostrils, as the supporting act to this farce he was forced by good breeding and manners to endure.

Why would Mother-Consort not believe that he already had someone in his heart? That it wasn't a lie just to evade her well-meaning meddling?

'Aiyyy...if only the little one is a bit older!' he facetiously mourned to himself, thinking of a face, fair and adorable.

'I would send the red palanquin to his home, with 88 wooden chest of my gifts covered with red silk, and all of these troubles would be gone!'

With a fond smile, he lost himself in memories and daydreams. Of a beautiful creature, so sweet and spirited. His laughing eyes, clever mind, and a pout that could shake a quanyuan's principles.

His self-discipline was definitely tested. What with all those soulful looks and adoring gazes he received without stint. He had his stewards compiled a list of betrothal gifts within a week of acquaintance.

Remembering the tearful farewell as he took his leave to answer the Imperial summons, made him sigh once more.

And internally laughed at all the promises that the spoiled and cosseted little kunze wrung out, effortlessly, from him.

He won't look at anyone, he won't smile at anyone, he won't think of anyone and he won't especially talk to anyone!

The Duke of Xi, the Emperor's favourite son, being brought to his knees by the tearful looks of a kunze barely out of nursery!

'I wonder if these anyone would include my own family members,' he thought to himself. It would solve a lot of his current troubles.

Waiting for his adorable beloved's formal presentation and coming-of-age is going to be such a sweet torture!

Xuan Hua laughed at himself, and at his eager affections for the young kunze. His future, soon-to-be-betrothed. Not that anyone was aware of his plans, yet. These auspicious things needs to be planned carefully.

The swanning ladies and gentle kunze, seeing how wonderfully the Imperial Duke Xi smiled, collectively swooned in admiration and doubled down on their efforts to entice him. Hoping to snare him into an agreeable alliance.

Oblivious that the bubbling brook was thinking of a far away blossom.

Plucking the strings of the instrument, he settled on a familiar song.

A personal favourite of one  limpid eyed moppet. He would dance and sing, each time the duke played this particular arrangement.

Xuan Hua himself developed a fondness for the song just for that reason alone.

Suddenly, as he flicked a wrist to control the timbre of a long note, his bracelet snapped.

This childish ornament, the only incongruity upon his stylish person, was personally braided and tied on to him by that sweet kunze, waiting patiently in Ping Province. Surrounded and guarded by his horde of belligerent and quarrelsome clansman.

The jade charm, a tiny cicada the size of a thumbnail, broke into pieces upon the floor.

As he crouch down to collect the unravelled threads and broken jade, a stray thought flashed through his mind.
Xuan Hua kept the broken pieces in a silk handkerchief, tucked close to his chest.

He uttered a prayer of safety for the sake of the lovable kunze nestling in his heart.

***

A palace attendant was rushing by, frantically craning his head here and there, searching for someone.

Catching hold of a familiar face,  the sweating tianyin asked for the whereabouts of Duke Xi, waving an urgent looking missive in his hand.

He was informed that the duke was currently in an audience with the emperor and the empress, as well as his lady mother-consort.

A few maids giggled, nudging at each other.

"It's probably about candidates to enter his ducal residence!" they merrily gossipped.

The attendant paled, clutching at the container, marked with  certain short hand symbols,  signifying the urgency of the news it held.

The overwhelmed tianyin hurriedly took his leave to seek out his master.

***

Pacing to and fro in front of the closed audience chamber, a thousand thoughts ran through the harried mind of this tianyin servant.

This urgent infomation came from Ping Province.

This was carried personally by a rider from Xi ducal estate in the province.

There's also another missive alongside, with a mark that denotes of the Wei Clan.

His lord duke was fairly close to the clan. Especially their younger generation.

The Wei Clan never misused their power and influence for trifling matters.

The sleeping tigers of Ping Province were the Imperial overseers on behalf of the duke and His Imperial Majesty. 

'This cannot be good news.'