Kindness Of Strangers

There's a rudimentary wooden pavilion at his usual spot by the river. A bit simple, just four roughly hewn pillars and a roof. There's also planks linking the pillars at a low height, making a crude bench on three sides of the tiny hut.

A little ways off, were a few of the village boys. Watching his reaction to this surprise addition to the location. With self-conscious, bashful smiles on their ruddy faces.

He was so touched by this show of care. They barely interacted, but these boys took the time and effort, in their busy and tiring days, to make things a little better for him. The recent addition to this village, the unknown boy who spent his days sad and mournful by the river. 

A wobbly smile dawns on his face, as he walked up to the structure and carefully took a seat. Everything hold steady and nothing broke down. It is safe for use. His use. The only one fool enough to waste his life away in this manner.

A cheer rose amongst the boys at his decision. Whooping with delight and excitement, they waved goodbye and went on their way and to their daily toils. Respecting his usual solitary existence. None of them seek to take advantage or make in roads to his personal bubble.

Except  for one little boy, perhaps no older than four. Possibly a quanyuan, in the future, judging by his sturdy and stout frame. He toddled up to the shelter, with a serious look on his face and solemnly asked his opinion on flowers. 

It was adorable.

A strange flutter of something, a frisson of foreign instinct washed through him. He wanted to comfort the boy, soothe away his worry, coddle all little ones to his heart and keep them safe. Alarm bells rang loudly in his mind, these was not his usual reaction to tiny humans in his vicinity. But he was powerless against such strong impulse, organic and insistent. He resisted the strong urge to coo and cuddle the little boy.

" I like them very much."

Nodding with such a determined resolution on his features, the tiny child walked back to his anxiously waiting sibling.

" Xiao Yu like flowers! We should get lots for him! Make huge bushes here! Then he'll always be smiling!" he said in that loud piping volume toddlers everywhere used, careless of any audio discomfort they may cause.

His elder brother, red with embarrassment after locking gaze with their village's mysterious kunze, hurriedly left with his baby brother in tow.

He watched them leave, with bemusement clouding his mind.

'Xiao Yu'? 

Because they fished him out of the river?

Or is it because of his strangely unrelenting fair skin? 

Or, perhaps because of the speculation over his possible status?

This world is strange.

His body is strange. It's not his own. It's worked differently, from a starting point far away from what he's used to.

His instincts are crazily all over the place. Reacting to stimuli that his mind recoiled from comprehending.

But kindness stil exists. And for that he is grateful.

But he's willing to give up everything in a heart beat, if it meant that he could go home.

Home to Mom. To Dad. To bossy, self-absorbed baby sister obsessed with the perfect filter for the right angle.

To Star Wars mad older brother.

To money making maniac older sister.

To grumpy Grandma Shan, fangirling over costumes and fantastical hair accessories.

I want to go home.

Please.

Anyone listening?

Please?

I can't go home anymore, can I?

That kunze boy is crying, again. Poor sweet thing. He's going to ruin those beautiful eyes of his, at this rate.

Such a pitiful child.