Chapter 6

Dean comes back soon with a paper cup full of water. Instead of giving it to Gabriel directly, he hands it to Sam, as if it didn't occur to him that even though it was his brother who asked him to get it, he doesn't have to give it to him. Instead of mentioning that, he just hands it to Gabriel.

"It occurs to me that I could have just grabbed a cup," Dean remarks. "There's a sink right there."

"Live and learn," Sam replies with a shrug.

Gabriel takes a sip of water, swishes it around in his mouth for a bit, spits it back into the cup, and leaves it on the bathroom sink.

"Ah, gotta love the refreshing taste of molecules," Gabriel says, suddenly back to his usual playful self. "Is that what it feels like to you humans every time you drink something?"

"Doubt it," Dean replies. "Usually, people can still talk before they drink something."

"Ah, yeah, that's true," Gabriel agrees.

"Wait, so that's it?" Sam asks. "All you needed was some tap water, and all of a sudden, you're good as new?"

Gabriel shrugs. "Looks like."

"Why didn't you ask for that when you got here, then?" Dean asks.

Gabriel shoots him a glare. "I just spent god-knows-how-long trapped in Hell, so you don't get to critique my priorities or my pantomiming skills."

"Alright, alright, whatever. Anyway, I'm out of here," Dean announces. "Gotta go make sure Cas hasn't killed Ketch yet — not that it would be that bad, actually." With that, Dean walks away, and Sam has a sneaking suspicion that that was just an excuse to get away from the trickster.

"I guess if you're feeling better, want to go see the bunker?" Sam asks.

"Oh, is that what this place is?" Gabriel looks around. "I was wondering where you lot brought me. Not bad. Kinda plain, from what I've seen, though. Could use some work."

"We didn't bring you here for you to fix it up for us," Sam deadpans.

"No, but you clearly haven't brought anyone else here to do that, either, so I'll volunteer."

Sam rolls his eyes. "You know what? If you want to dress up the bunker, go for it. Need a hand?" He reaches over to help Gabriel up, but the angel hits his hand away.

"I got it, I got it," he says dismissively. He starts to stand up in his own, but his legs give out, and he sits back down again. "Okay, so maybe I don't got it."

Sam chuckles. "Need a hand?" he asks again.

"I might need a little more than a hand," Gabriel replies.

"What?"

"I can't even stand up," he says. "If you're expecting me to walk around the whole 'bunker,' I'm gonna need a little more assistance than a hand."

"Yeah, maybe walking is not your best option, then," Sam says. "So, I take it you're not really as good as new?"

"Not even close," Gabriel replies. "I can't do anything. I'm basically a human. No, worse than a human. I basically a vegetable. I feel like I'm a squash."

Sam chuckles. "A squash?"

"You know what? I just spent god-knows-how-long trapped in Hell, so you don't get to critique my comparisons."

Sam gives him an amused look. Is this going to be his excuse for everything? Because it's valid, but not that valid. "Okay, fair enough. I'm assuming you don't just want to sit in the bathroom forever, so want to go somewhere else? Preferably less germy?"

"Somewhere I can sit?"

"Library?" Sam suggests.

Gabriel shoots that idea down immediately. "I'm not putting up with Ketch today. I've had enough of that these last few... units of time..." he trails off uncertainly.

"Well, getting rid of him is never easy, so, what, want to go somewhere else?" Sam asks. "The war room, maybe? I have to go talk to Dean and Cas for a minute, but I'm sure one of us can get back and keep you company."

Gabriel shakes his head. "I'm not sure what the war room is, but the name makes it sound fun, so I'm in. But I'll be fine on my own. You don't have to babysit me."

"But —"

"Trust me, Sam. By now, I'm used to being alone."