Chapter 51

"So, Jack," Dean says between mouthfuls of pie, "how you feeling? Adrenaline wear off yet?"

Everyone turns their attention to Jack. They've all been enjoying their victory celebration at the table, and no one wanted to be the one to bring up any serious topics. It's not often that they get to just relax and celebrate together. No one wanted to kill the mood, but it seems Dean's willing to venture into the uncertainty. Nothing ever goes entirely right for them. Now that Jack's settled down, it's probably the right time to make sure he didn't accidentally kill his grace supply in the process.

"I've never felt better," Jack says with a smile. "Although I'm kinda worried about Gabriel. I know he comes in and out, but I would have hoped he'd come back so I could tell him he doesn't have to worry about Asmodeus anymore."

"I'm sure he'll be back soon," Sam assures him. Honestly, he has no idea when Gabriel's coming back, assuming Lucifer doesn't kill him before he has the chance. He'd hoped it would take too long, but it's been hours and he's starting to worry.

"Yeah, where'd he go, anyway?" Dean asks. "I get that he didn't want to see Asmodeus or whatever, but I figured he'd stick around until we got back."

"I don't know," Sam lies. "I'm sure he's fine. He's probably blowing off steam. He really doesn't like to hear Asmodeus's name, you know?"

"Ah, yeah, I guess," Dean says. "Well, his loss. I'm more than happy to celebrate without him."

"You know, Dean," Mary says, "you really gotta lighten up on the guy."

Dean scoffs. "Not a chance in hell. If you saw half the things he did to —"

"I know, I know," she interrupts. "But it looks like he's really trying to help."

"No, he's really trying to get our help," Dean corrects her. "Big difference."

"Mom's right," Sam says. "He wants our help, but he knows he's not going to get it if he doesn't help us, too."

"So he's just doing it to save his ass," Dean deadpans. "Great. What happens when he doesn't need us to coddle him anymore?"

No one seems to have an answer to that. It hadn't even occurred to Sam that one day, Gabriel's going to be feeling better. He's doing pretty well as it is. He felt confident enough to face Lucifer alone. Maybe their time together is drawing to a close. Maybe Dean's right. Maybe they should start thinking about what comes next.

"I don't think we have to worry about that," Jack says.

"What?"

"Remember when Lucifer was here and he wanted to team up with me and Gabriel and take down Asmodeus and whoever else they wanted dead? That was all Gabriel wanted, killing those guys. And he still decided to grab me and get me away from Lucifer, and he used most of his grace in the process."

"Well, yeah, but..." Dean trails off.

"Jack has a point," Castiel agrees. "Even I was wary at first, but Gabriel does seem to be on our side."

Dean looks between the three of them, then sighs. "Fine, whatever. Let's go with that. But if it looks like he switched sides for a second —"

"You'll kill him," Sam finishes, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. We get it. Just shut up and eat your pie."

Dean glares at him, not ultimately decided to do exactly that — shove almost an entire pie in his mouth before anyone else can go back for seconds.

A/N my computer broke and updating is a struggle whoops