Chapter 29

Sam barely has time to process the idea that he could run before Lucifer notices him, and suddenly, he finds himself incapable of moving — Lucifer's doing, of course.

"Ah, Sammy, I was wondering where you went," Lucifer says with a smirk. "Okay, so, ordinarily, I'd make some big deal out of this, what with you lot being among my top most wanted, but, uh..." He taps his wrist, as if he's wearing a watch. "Kinda on a deadline right now, so, if you don't mind, I'm just gonna take care of you lot, and then take the kid and run. Sound like a plan?"

"You can't," Jack says, his voice strong and confident. "I won't let you."

Lucifer throws his hands up in exasperation. "Ah, come on, kid. You're just saying that because they've brainwashed you into it. Trust me, they'll just let you down. Happens to everyone. We could either wait until they leave you for dead, or you could just come with me now and save time. Your choice."

"They won't," Jack protests, and he sounds so sure of himself. Sam feels a pang of pride at that. They've taught him well. "They're not like you. They're better."

"Wow, at the rebellious teenager phase already?" Lucifer wipes a fake tear from his eye. "They grow up so fast."

"I don't..." Jack cocks his head in confusion. "I don't know what you mean by that."

"Not surprised," Lucifer drawls. "I'm sure there's a lot they aren't telling you. But, come with me, and I'll make sure you know everything you need to."

"That's never going to happen," Jack tells him.

"Oh, it will," Lucifer replies, not a hint of doubt in his voice. "And when it does, you and I will both be happier."

Suddenly, Lucifer is flung across the room, hitting the wall so hard, it begins to crumble around him. Gabriel steps out from behind Sam, his archangel blade gripped tightly in his hand. When he realizes who it is that he just threw across the room, he freezes, face paling.

Lucifer brushes himself off, seeming mildly inconvenienced if anything. When he sees his brother, he can't help but stare in disbelief. He slowly pushes himself to his feet, never taking his eyes off the other angel.

"Gabriel..." Lucifer says under his breath, at the same time Gabriel mutters, "Lucifer..."

Sam glances at his brother, and they share a concerned look. Lucifer finding out that Gabriel is alive was inevitable, but no one expected it to happen this quickly.

"You're weak," they both say in unison. "Why?" They share a frustrated groan, and while Gabriel says, "Youngest first!" as quickly as he can, Lucifer says, "Oldest first," even quicker.

Gabriel groans. "Dammit, I hate when you do that!"

Dean looks over at his brother and mouths, "What the hell?"

Sam just shrugs. After Gabriel's whole spiel about wanting his brothers to stop fighting all those years ago, are they going to start their own archangel cat fight?

"How are you alive?" Lucifer demands. "I killed you."

"Yeah, thanks for that," Gabriel says sarcastically. "Although the wistful stare afterwards was nice. Really made me feel better about being stabbed in the back by my own brother." He slides his blade into his waistband. "How did you find us? I thought this place was supposed to be warded."