||Chapter Forty-Nine|| The one with the secrets of the universe

Category: Quotes from the book Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

SPOILER ALERT

1. "One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I awoke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same." 

2. “I bet you could sometimes find all the mysteries of the universe in someone's hand.” 

3. “I got to thinking that poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just didn't get--and never would get.” 

4. “To be careful with people and with words was a rare and beautiful thing.” 

5. “Another secret of the universe: Sometimes pain was like a storm that came out of nowhere. The clearest summer could end in a downpour. Could end in lightning and thunder.” 

6. “Maybe we just lived between hurting and healing.” 

7. “And it seemed to me that Dante's face was a map of the world. A world without any darkness. Wow, a world without darkness. How beautiful was that?” 

8. “I renamed myself Ari. If I switched the letter, my name was Air. I thought it might be a great thing to be the air. I could be something and nothing at the same time. I could be necessary and also invisible. Everyone would need me and no one would be able to see me.” 

9. "The problem with my life was that it was someone else's idea.” 

10. “I had a feeling there was something wrong with me. I guess I was a mystery even to myself.” 

11. “But love was always something heavy for me. Something I had to carry.” 

12. “Your smile is back." That's what Dante said.

"Smiles are like that. They come and go.” 

13. “Sometimes, all you have to do is tell people the truth. They won't believe you. After that, they'll leave you alone.” 

14. “The summer sun was not meant for boys like me. Boys like me belonged to the rain.” 

15. “Senior year. And then life. Maybe that's the way it worked. High school was just a prologue to the real novel. Everybody got to write you -- but when you graduated, you got to write yourself. At graduation you got to collect your teacher's pens and your parents' pens and you got your own pen. And you could do all the writing. Yeah. Wouldn't that be sweet?” 

16. “I had learned to hide what I felt. No, that's not true. There was no learning involved. I had been born knowing how to hide what I felt.”

17. “I wondered if my smile was as big as hers. Maybe as big. But not as beautiful.”