The Devil And Birthday Cake

»I may be on the side of the angels,

                     but don't think for a second that I am one of them

                                              Sherlock Holmes

It's almost funny how a liquid can make you even more thirsty. My tongue was absolutely parched and the surface of it felt like sandpaper. All my senses were mixed together – I heard reflections and saw music, I smelled his ruggedness and taste its saltiness in my mouth.

»You're not good with booze, are you little Morison?« Asked the shadow of a man who carried me into his bedroom. The softness of his sheets felt so good underneath my palms...

»What did the bartender say after Charles Dickens ordered a martini?« I mumbled.

»I'll take that as a no. Okay, what did he say?« Arijan took of my shoes and gently tucked my cold feet under the soft blanket. The care in his voice made me feel safe the way a baby kangaroo feels safe in his mother's pouch.

I chortled into the covers. »Olive or twist.«

He rubbed his nose, revealing that shiny ring on his thumb and laughed quietly for a bit. »That's a horrible joke.«

»I think I'm quite funny.«

»I think you're drunk. Which is basically the same thing.«

»Can I touch your hair?« I asked shyly as if it were the most perverted question in the world.

He furrowed his dark eyebrows and smiled. »Um, okay.«

I ran my fingers through his curly locks, expecting some sort of softness, but the truth is they were a bit stringy to the touch...And his eyes were just so...green.

He leaned towards me, pushing my hand back under the covers, his lips facing mine for a split second, but never touching. He kissed my forehead with his cold lips. His kiss was so different from Lucifer's, not at all frightening, not at all...exciting. But not bad either. Just cold.

»Get some rest, I'll check on you later.« He said and left the room.

Well...that went well.

»That was rather interesting.« The devil stepped out from the shadows.

»Go away...« I growled into the pillow.

»Not only you made a complete fool out of yourself,« He sat on the bed. »he totally blew you off with that mommy kiss at the end.«

»Maybe he was just trying to be respectful.« I muttered into the pillow again.

»What lies leave your lips, my darling Lux.« Lucifer's voice was soft, yet mocking.

»Can I ask you a question?« I said in all seriousness.

»Mhm.«

»If you drink too much alcohol you are an alcoholic. Then, if you drink too much Fanta, does that make you Fantastic?« I winked at him.

»I see you are still under the influence, I will be going...«

»Don't go!« I grabbed his hand. This was the first time I touched him willingly.

He looked so surprised as if it were a sin for a  human being to touch a fallen one. Lucifer sat back on the bed and review me with his blood-thirsty eyes. I traced my fingers across his arm, following the vein pattern which grew into branches of the tallest tree, all the way towards the soft spot on the inside of his elbow. I don't know why but that place seemed like a perfect place to press a kiss. But I didn't. The heat beneath my fingertips kept on reminding me whose skin I'm actually caressing.