The Devil And Appetites Of The Soul

»I wanna hide the truth

                                          I wanna shelter you

                                       But with the beast inside

                                  There's nowhere we can hide.«

                                           Imagine Dragons

I stared at the old tombstone, baffled with the idea of meeting someone at a place like this. What kind of friend was she?

»We don't have to dig up a corpse or something, right?« I joked.

»Well,« Lucifer looked around, arching a brow. That was not a no. That was...

»Are you completely mad?« A sudden yell escaped my lungs, but I quickly toned down. »I am not digging up a corpse, hell no!«

By closing his eyes he showed the discontent he had with my response. »Nobody said that.«

Really? Another half-assed answer? I hate when he does that...

A gush of wind fluttered the moist leaves of the trees above us; raindrops kissed the ground below us. For a moment there was complete silence, no bird songs, no footsteps to be heard, just a feeling of the unknown. Sweet scent of jasmine tickled my senses, I could even taste it at the tip of my tongue.

»Mon prince,« Spoke a voice that was almost too husky for a woman.

»Old friend,« Lucifer greeted the lady in black coat, holding an umbrella.

She possessed strong features, a wide jaw and serious, but kind smile upon her full lips. One wouldn't call her a beauty, but she had something that pulled you closer to her, like moth to a flame. Long brown hair were secured in a messy up-do, which only gave the stranger more charm. The blue of her eyes clashed with everything dark, gleaming like far away galaxies.

The lady in black gently kissed Lucifer's cheek, turning her gaze upon me. There was something so...strangely inviting about her. »Introduce us.« She said to him with a slight french accent.

»Salome, this is Lucija.« He motioned towards me.

»Salome?« I repeated what seemed odd. A glimpse on the gravestone revealed, why.

She stretched her arm towards me. »Lou Andreas Salome, but you can call me just Salome.« Her hands were hidden in black velvet gloves, which were cold to touch.

»But...« I mumbled nervously as her touch left my skin and pointed towards the gravestone.

»Oh, that little thing.« Salome smiled. »One can't live forever, can she?« She mysteriously answered and scanned me from top to bottom.

»I don't understand...«

»You haven't told her, have you?« She said to Lucifer. Moist in the air caused a few hair-locks to escape his natural hairstyle, but he brushed them back. The devil shook his head.

»Told me what?« I demanded to know.

»Who, or what Salome is.« He tortured me mercilessly yet again. »Remember, I promised you once you may meet someone like her?«

What was he talking about? I can't recall anything of sorts...

»Ah, diable!« She elegantly slapped his shoulder. »Ma chérie,« Salome spoke to me, the apples of her cheeks showing even when she wasn't smiling. »I am a vampire.«