The Devil And Music

»She was never crazy.

                           She just didn't let her heart settle in a cage.

             She was born wild, and sometimes we need people like her.

           For it's the horrors in her heart which cause the flames in ours.

     And she was always willing to burn for everything she has ever loved.«

                                                       R. M. Drake

Smell of burnt flesh traced in my nostrils, it wasn't that different from normal meat. I mean, it's all just meat, right? The man's face had almost melted through his screams of agony, which, evidently, would have to make me feel...sympathy? It didn't.

The ugliness of his own darkness had consumed him in the flames he had coming.

Like a flash of light we suddenly ended up in his crashed home in Norway. The first time he didn't have to give me a goodnight kiss.

Lucifer's hands did not let go of me. When I tried to squirm away, his grip only tightened. I knew I was strong, but he was stronger. For now.

»What do you want?« My mouth produced a sighing sound.

»You keep running away,« heat of his inner fire was present, scorching feeling of his skin on mine. But it didn't burn me. I could match his fire with my winter.

»You keep talking,« I explained my reason of disappearance. I tried to arch my back against his torso, and push away, but he wouldn't budge.

»You almost killed a man.« Lucifer's voice got a tone of seriousness.

»Well,« my head tilted on his shoulder, and our gaze met. I watched him in the most wicked way. »you did kill a man, today.« His jaw tightened, and I was damn pleased about that. »What are you going to do, Lucifer? Punish me?« He cocked a brow as I freed one of my hands and gently traced it down his neck.

With one swift movement he gripped my wrist. »My darling,« he spoke angrily. »you have no idea what you are doing. Darkness feeds the demonic in you, makes it grow. You are but a mere child, who got more than she bargained for. I can help you, but if you wish, I may conduct some sort of discipline, as well.« Humorless speech should leave me frightened, and yet, I craved for more.

»What if I don't want you to help me? What if I like myself the way I am now?« I laughed again.

Lucifer grasped my jaw and made me face him. »Liar,« that one word echoed around us, all our broken pieces.

»You can't fix me – «

»You are half human. You just may be able to control that human side of you, better than myself. I was wrong, I said it takes years before you can master turning human, but the more I think about it...You are half human. Those things should come natural to you.« Lucifer spoke sincerely, still preventing me from escaping.

»Sadly, I don't know – «

He broke my sentence, yet again. »It can be triggered. Each of us has his own trigger,« his red eyes pierced my poison. »I wonder if yours match mine.«

A silent cackle escaped my mouth. I did not believe for a second that he can trigger anything human inside of me. Was there even something left, did something survived my Armageddon?

Lucifer leaned his head against mine, cheek to cheek. Fire that ran through his veins, heating his skin collided with my demonic frost. His grip around my waist loosened, but he still didn't let go. Like a lover's breath his air hit my ear.

»You found something beautiful in my destruction,« Lucifer sang with a low rough voice at first, as if he'd just woken up.

»What are you doing?« I began to feel uneasy, and almost escaped, but he pulled me back and curled his fingers around my wrist, tightening the grip.

Lucifer carried my hand towards his mouth and kissed it. Slowly, but swiftly. His fire did not melt the ice on my skin. »You saw through their shouts,

You, my girl who walks the Clouds.

I will paint you in the brightest colours,« now he sounded softer, but determined. Lucifer's music was like a magic trick. He was the magician, uttering spells at my soul, creating a performance even I couldn't avert my eyes from. Something beneath my flesh was splitting, bursting apart.

Every single note that wedged its pieces into the cracks of my bones was starting to collapse, destroy me from the inside out.

Suddenly I felt the roughness of his fingertips upon my skin, and remembered the feeling of his music in my heart.

The way he set me on fire.

»Stop it!« I screamed. I did not like what was happening. I did not want to be saved. Feelings make you weak. Lucifer wasn't my Superman, he was my kryptonite. Everything was about to surface, all the sadness, sorrow I felt for those I missed, all my dreams that turned into wishful thinking, everything.

»I will stain your lips with kisses,« Lucifer traced his fingers across my lips, which  now felt the scorching heat, the ice that was covering me, began to crack.

»Please!« I begged him not to save me from my winter, I begged for no spring, on warmth. Hot tears filled my eyes and as they crashed over my cheeks and across my jaw, it felt like crying diamonds.

»Stop hiding behind the moons of your eyes

Come now, Queen who walks the Clouds,« the last piece of ice fell towards the ground, freeing my heart. I wept when I felt a heartbeat in my chest, the way it echoed through my rib-cage.

»Lucifer,« my hand caressed the back of his neck and I let go. His warm embrace now felt inviting, not constricting.

If his love was a curse or a spell, or even a magic trick; I did not care anymore. I did not want the spell to be broken, the curse to be lifted, nor did I want to see what was inside magicians hat. I accepted it the way it was; full of imperfections and jagged, broken pieces.

»Take my hand and rise.« Were the last words he sang. In a window, I caught a glimpse of my reflection. My messy hair. My pale complexion. My hazel eyes.

Lucifer's music turned me human.

Finally, I could step out of the shadows. Finally, I could go home.

I stared at our reflection, the way his windswept, bronze hair complimented mine. The way his wide arms fit across mine like puzzle pieces. »Cloudwalker,« I said.

»What?« Lucifer asked.

»That's what I am now, a Cloudwalker.« No longer was I entirely human, nor was I an angel. I was something new, and my wings allowed me to walk the Clouds.