The Devil And His Demon Maid

»I have loved the stars

                                               Too fondly

                                           To be fearful of

                                               The night.«

                                          Sarah Williams

I was woken by a moist feeling on my face. Moist and sticky. And it tickled. I tried rubbing my cheek only to notice a pair of whiskers and a wet nose.

»Layla...« I murmured and pushed the black fur-ball away. So much had happened last night, I still felt exhausted. Physically and mentally.

By slapping a pink clock on my nightstand, it was revealed to me that the hour was way past noon. I put on my fluffy socks, the kind that made you feel like you were wearing baby ducks, and marched down the hall.

One look in the bathroom mirror and it completely ruined my day. My hair was a mess, making me look like I'd been electrocuted, and the face...well, the face was no winner either. That's what you get for sleeping with your makeup on. A demon look.

Like many times before I played the perfect argument with Lucifer in which, of course, I win. It was so easy getting mad at someone and having fictional quarrels with them.

»What's that Lucifer,« I said to the mirror. »I can't hear you, 'cause my fist is talking. What's that fist...« I placed my clenched fingers at my ear. »You want to break Lucifer's nose? And his jaw? Maybe his eye-socket too?« The image of me becoming a demon was just unbearable, uncomfortable, toxic!

I didn't want to be separated from my family, or my friends, or my life...Yes it has ups and downs, but...It's not that bad. To spend an eternity as the Devil's demon maid, oh, the joy.

»Again, vampire freak,« A familiar voice sneaked from behind. »talking to yourself, even if you're facing  a mirror, is weird.«

»Mornin', big brother.«

»I heard you switched dates last night.« Jan leaned on the door frame.

»Yeah,« I sighed while recalling everything that happened. »the first date wasn't very, well, date-like

»Ari?« He asked, furrowing a brow.

»Mhm. Arijan and a few others

»Who others?« My brother's voice got a smidge more serious than I'd been used to.

»I don't know,« I began to brush my teeth. »some of his friends came and he took off, and then Luc came, and then the car caught on fire or something...« This lie held a bit of truth, but revealing everything would be a very bad idea.

»That was Ari's car?« Jan's posture suddenly changed from careless to stiff with seriousness.

»You saw?« I spat the minty flavour out of my mouth. »Were you there?«

»No, but the entire city saw.«

»What?«

»It was on the News, - a car caught fire with three guys trapped inside, they're in the intensive care.«

The thought of Luc killing someone made my stomach twist in unknown patterns. I knew who he was and what was supposedly his 'occupation', but...It's different when something like that actually happens. »Are they...alive?«