7: The Stairwell

The next morning we had to make another journey to the safehouse. The CLUs were back.

Under the stairwell, I suddenly realized how crowded it was.

"Hey, move over!"

"You're on my foot!"

"OW! You're pinching my arm!"

"Get off!"

Yeah, we were getting pretty loud. I know cuz' our neighbors, Harmoni McMurphy, and her brother, Liem, came by our stairwell and warned, "Shut up! You're being so loud, I'm sure that both Lucifer and God can hear you!"

Rien muttered a reply; "Sheesh! Ok, shut your pie hole."

"I heard that!!" Harmoni said between gritted teeth. She walked off, eventually, to our relief.

"What CLU ripped her fiancè apart?" Whispered Aaron mockingly, as quietly as possible as not to disturb the thin film separating her and us as if it were separating him from the fury of a thousand Luficers.

Just then, a note slipped in the tiny slot in the stairwell door. Of course, no one could grab it. That is how squished it was.

"Guys, shut up and move over so I can get the note!" I grunted annoyedly.

I eventually managed to snatch it up, but just as I got it to touch my fingertips and slide into my hand, a stomach-churning creaking noise sounded from the door. Pop! Off came the stairwell door.

CRAP, I thought.