21: The Beginning of the End

It was time. Rien's leg had healed enough to walk, or limp, home. I knew it would be not too long a journey, especially because there was an abandoned bike store, nearby.

We left the next morning, when the sky was bright with a thousand highlights of pink, orange and purple. I licked my finger and put it up high.

"It'll rain in a while." I concluded, looking up at the growing clouds.

"We have a few hours hours before it starts." I took a deep breath. We started to walk towards the bike store.

When we got there, we each chose a bike. I paid for them and we left.

------------------------------------------

We finally arrived home, 12 hours later, sweaty and exhausted, but alive and well. Aaron and I walked side-by-side back to the shack while Rien ran ahead to tell Harmoni that he was back.

I was so happy. We'd put Lucifer in his weak spot and nearly killed him, we'd survived in the forest for three days, and we were finally home. I couldn't have been happier.

Two days later, Rien walked out of the Safehouse, hand in hand with Harmoni and they kissed, before she ran teasingly away. I laid my head on Aaron's shoulder, imagining the beautiful memories, just waiting to be made.

But I still had so many questions. Who was this "DL"? And why wasn't Lucifer more ruthless?

But, most of all: What was happening to my normal life? Why was it changing so dramatically? Was Aaron really the one?

THE END