BEFORE THE WAR: TWO

"When you decide not to be afraid, you can find friends in unexpected places

"When you decide not to be afraid, you can find friends in unexpected places."

_____

MIDTOWN HIGH SCHOOL

TWO YEARS BEFORE INFINITY WAR

"PETER KNOWS SPIDER-MAN!" A silence went over the gym, Valeria nearly choking on her gulp of water from the nearby water fountain. Her eyes wandered onto the two boys, feeling the nervousness coming from Peter as he tried to explain what Ned had just blurted out. She notices that the declaration was aimed towards Liz and her group of friends, putting together that it was perhaps just a lie to impress the senior girl. Peter was terrible at keeping secrets from the little time Valeria has interacted with him, literally feeling the way his heart did flips whenever Liz Toomes was around. Feelings, gross.

Peter's body language made her doubt her conclusion, why would he be so nervous if it were just a lie, she questioned. "Staring is creepy, Val." Rolling her eyes playfully, Valeria looked over to her best friend, who placed his forearm on her shoulder to lean on. Harry Osborn had just transferred to Midtown High, becoming ten times more important than Valeria is in only a week. Although she couldn't deny she was excited to spend more time with him, Val was also afraid he'd forget about her, she wouldn't admit that though. "Or feeling their feelings, whatever it is you can do."

Harry found out about Val's powers when she saved him from falling down a flight of stairs with a simple motion of raising her hand. She remembers being terrified, of what Harry would think and the consequences she'd face if Tony or Rhodey found out someone other than her uncle knew about her powers. It took time for him to assure Valeria but once he did, Harry has been extremely supportive of her, never pressuring her to say or do anything regarding her training. He knew what she needed was to be a normal kid, something he wished he could be sometimes also. "Shut up, I can't help it."

"Well, if you missed that little part, Liz invited Parker to her party tonight. Which reminds me, we're going." Lifting her gaze from Peter to Harry again, Val gave him a confused look. She'd never been friends with Liz, only sharing a couple of conversations with her regarding the academic decathlon team, offering her a spot on the team. Nothing beyond that. "I wasn't invited."

"I was, perks of being the new rich kid. I asked if I could bring a friend and she said yes. Come on Val, I watched those space movies for you."

"You fell asleep 10 minutes into the film, so that doesn't count. Either way, I promised Manny I would help him at the restaurant tonight. But, you should still go. Don't strip them away from the presence of the almighty Harry Osborn." Following his best friend's eyes, Harry felt a smile tug on his lips as she watched Peter Parker. "Parker's gonna be there."