THE WAR: THREE

"We have to be greater, than what we suffer

"We have to be greater, than what we suffer."

______

THE WAR

SOMEWHERE IN SPACE

     "Tony is going to kill us." Peter looked over at Valeria, who's face was still covered by her nanotech iron. He'd removed his the moment the doors behind them closed, needing some air after the reality of where they were set in. He knew that there was truth to what Valeria said and perhaps that should be his biggest worry at the moment, but the questions he had for the girl next to him started to takeover. Peter knew they had bigger things to worry about but how could he possibly just go on and act like it isn't messing with his head the fact that Valeria was right next to him as they prepared to fight whatever it is that is ahead of them. "Peter, look, I'm sorry but right now--"

"Ms. Amaya, you have an incoming call from Harry Osborn. We're losing signal fast but do you want to take it?" Valeria sighed, glancing over at Peter, who urged her to take the call. They were both supposed to meet up with Harry after they ate, feeling guilt rush through him as he could imagine the worry their friend must be feeling. "Ring him through, Bonnie."

"V-V-Val? Valeria, what the hell--"

"Harry, listen, I'm sorry--" Valeria still hadn't removed her helmet, as she knew there was a chance that she'd cry at hearing her best friend's desperation. She didn't want to drop more things on Peter's "worry" list that probably already consists a lot from her behalf. That didn't mean he couldn't tell the way her voice broke the moment she apologized. "Val, why the hell are you up in the sky? I'm with your uncle and he's worried sick already, you were supposed to come back. I haven't gotten a hold of Peter but I don't know how I'm supposed to keep this from him knowing he's going to be just as anxious." Knowing he could hear Harry's words, Valeria noticed the look on Peter's face, one of sympathy and confusion. Harry knew about who she was, more than he did. 

"I was-- I am, okay? Tony needs our help, I can't let him do this alone either. Even though he wanted us to go back... just tell Manny that I love him okay? I promise that I'll be back." Valeria could feel the guilt radiate from Peter, who stepped away to give her some privacy. She knows he's already blaming himself for dragging them into this predicament. Peter didn't deserve to feel all the mixture of emotions that he was at the moment, she had just as much fault as he believed he did. If she weren't here, things would be more simple. He'd only care for Tony, but now there's someone else to care about.

"D-Dude.. yo- were sup-p-osed to go to junior pr-om w-w-with Pete-" 

"We've lost connection, Valeria." At those last words from her AI, Valeria finally let the iron nanotech disappear as it was replaced with her usual mission clothes. Covered in all black clothing from head to toe, Peter noticed the suit condense into her silver iron belt, which stood out perfectly since it was the only thing that wasn't black. Her belt had other gadgets on it as well, one catching his eye more than the others.

"Is that what I think it is?" Following to where Peter was pointing, landing to the spot where her staff would usually be, but not today. Before leaving the restaurant, she'd grabbed the weapon she had been working on for a year now from her bag, placing it in her armor belt. If anyone were to recognize it, of course it would be Peter. "Well, we are in space, so I thought why not?"

"Dude, you really kept the fact you were building your very own lightsaber away from me?" Peter wanted to discuss the elephant in the room and this was perhaps the easiest way to approach it. He'd thought that maybe it was reasonable as probably the only ones who knew about her training to be an Avenger was Tony and the rest of the team. But Harry, someone he had befriended during the time Valeria moved, knew about it as well. Did Val not trust him? "Peter, I do trust you. You're really the only one who truly understood how it is to be a teen with these powers we never really asked for. But you rejected the Avengers for a reason, that reason being you wanted to protect Queens. My reasons for accepting the offer, it's something I just wasn't ready to talk about. I haven't been able to talk about them with anyone that wasn't my uncle or Tony for a really long time. Not even Harry. I was afraid that if I told you, I'd have to recall back to those reasons and I don't know if I'd be able to take it. I'm barely getting better in general."

The three year old memories went over her for a split second, causing her to grimace a bit. Feeling her breathing becoming unstable, Valeria stumbled back a bit, Peter held out his hand to balance her out. Valeria grabbed a hold of his hand, holding it tightly, making her remember the times Manny and Tony did this as well. Her panic attacks were a normal occurrence after the tragedy that hit her for almost two years. She had only became better around a year ago, her and Tony receiving treatment almost simultaneously. Despite not knowing what exactly was causing her such distress, Peter didn't like the fact that he'd basically pressured her into remembering those unknown memories. "Val, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. You don't owe me anything."

Looking up to him as she regained her breath, Valeria felt her eyes become heavy. She wanted to curse herself for making Peter go through this, making him have to help her endure her panic attack. It was the last thing he should be worried about. Scrubbing her eyes, she realized that she was still holding onto his hand. Peter was still looking right at her, trying to figure out if she was okay, not even noticing how tightly interlaced their fingers were. Maybe because of how natural it felt. 

"Parker, I promise that I'll answer all your questions when we get back home. I'll tell you everything, not because you urged me because you didn't, I trust you. I'll story tell you all the stories while we unsuccessfully try to dance during junior prom." Peter followed Valeria's eyes, which landed right on their hands. He felt his face flush with a shade of red, heating up as he didn't even realize they were still held tightly together. 

"But right now, we have to help Tony."

_____

AUTHORS NOTE: ahhhhh this was shorter than the other chapters i think??? but slowburn is the way to goooo. i hope you guys enjoyed this update <3 i had to include a harry/val interaction as their friendship makes me go woosh and it is unrealistic of him and manny to not be worried she is iN SPACE??? i keep thinking about how both val and peter's guardians know who their superhero personas are but can't say anything to each other because they don't know their kids know themselves in THAT way??? skjgndfg 

ANYWAYS, omg the love this book is getting is so??? i don't deserve omg. i got an update this book is #13 in marvel fanfiction and that makes me so happy i'm so grateful you guys like my shitty writing jsknsf i love u all <3