THE SOUL WORLD: THREE

"Even with my back against the wall, I don't give up

"Even with my back against the wall, I don't give up."

__________

AVENGERS COMPOUND

NEW YORK CITY

     "Let me get this straight, you knew about all of this, what Thanos was going to do, yet you're just showing up now?" The remaining heroes were all gathered together in the compound's conference room, giving all their attention to a woman who claimed to a superhero, Captain Marvel. Carol had shown the group the pager that she had shared with Nick Fury, still displaying the message of help he had been able to send before he disappeared.

But it all felt so sudden to the group, especially Tony Stark, who couldn't understand why the hero had been absent all this time. "You know that big headed purple grape helped create an attack in New York six years ago? He had possession of one of the stones now that I remember, a heads up would have been really helpful."

Carol had prepared for this kind of reaction from the heroes, she'd probably feel the same way if she were in their place. She didn't expect for them to suddenly put all their trust on the new girl, but she'd be damned if she didn't try. "I haven't been on Earth for years, I've been... in many different plants, dimensions even. There is a lot that humans don't know about, stuff that I fought to keep away from Earth and maintain it's safety. But that's a story for another time, now... I didn't know what exactly Thanos was planning to do. All I knew was that he's always had this desire to to purge the universe."

"How did you know? Have you fought Thanos before?" Steve Rogers broke his longing silence that he had harbored ever since he arrived to the building. A funeral for their fallen comrades wasn't the way he pictured the Avengers' reuniting, trying to find the right words of console for Tony and Rhodes when he noticed Valeria's photograph on the stand. Shuri had managed to scavenge out a photograph of Bucky Barnes from the 40s, giving it to Steve so he could have a photo of his best friend to place in the memorial. Steve wanted to place it besides Valeria's but opted out of it, not knowing how Tony would react to it. He wanted to speak to him, wanted all present Avengers to sit down and talk. But with Carol Danvers arriving to the scene, Steve concluded there were more important issues at hand.

"No, my mentor did. Mar-vell. He knew Thanos for years, taking notice of his obsession of "cleansing the universe" as he would say. Mar-vell fought for the safety of his own kind and for humans, never believing in Thanos' ideology. Thanos had been looking for the infinity stones all across the universe longer than what we thought, Mar-vell preventing him from obtaining them so many times. There's probably nobody else that knows more about those stones than Thanos, Mar-vell, and Adam Warlock: another man who helped prevent Thanos' goal from becoming reality." Carol's last confession made Shuri and Peter Parker's interest elevate, glancing at one another to seek confirmation that they were thinking the same thing. They needed someone who had knowledge of the stones