In the Shadows-Chapter nine

Chp 9

In the Shadows

Chapter nine

In the shadows she saw figures.

In the shadows she heard voices.

In the shadows she was lonely.

As the shadows drove her crazy.

            Miana clutched the covers around the trembling body, the voice that she had first heard as a bare whisper now yelling plainly in her ears. No matter how hard she tried to drown them out with humming or even loud shouting or singing they still found a way to make their voices heard. Even if she attempted to cover her ears to block out their sound their voices only grew louder shouting as if the sound was coming from inside her mind. The solitude was driving her insane, the paint chipped walls towered over her looking as if they wanted to crush her under their heavy weight. The whole time she sat alone in the large darkened room her trembling lips continued to form only one word.

“Derik.. Derik…. Derik..” she continued to mindlessly rock back and forth her unwashed and tangled red hair frizzled out, the dark heavy bags under her eyes adding to her deranged look.  

How desperate she become, how irrational she was to call out to the one man who had placed her in her dark cage. The man who had shown her nothing but his burning rage for humans and a man who was most likely even more deranged that she was becoming.

Yet even though the tiny sliver of her mind that remained aware of that didn’t attempt to stop her in calling out to him when he had left, and even though she knew he had plainly ignored her plea for him to stay she continued to call him name, as if by doing so she would somehow remain sane.

“..He doesn’t care..”

The chilling taunting voice continued to taunt her to lash at her with their sharp words that sounded so true.

‘He needs me.’ She rationalized with herself her mouth still moving to call out to who could very well be her dark knight.

“He doesn’t need you, no one does..”

‘He needs me as bait.’ She clutched the covers tighter to her body, the thick covers doing nothing to keep her warm as they should.

“That’s right bait.”

She physically flinched back as it reminded her of what position she was it. Or what her existence meant to who a deeper part of her actually believed could help her escape the shadows that appeared with his absence.

“You are nothing more than bait.”

The growing shadows only purred with glee as they fed from her negative energy.

“You don’t mean anything to anyone. Not the angel, not your family… and defiantly not the demon.”

Hot tears pricked her eyelids. They were right. What was she fighting for? She lived another day only to worry if the next would be her last if Derik no longer needed her.

“You’d be better off dead..”

The voice whispered in a low tone, the temperature in the room dropping instantly to where she could practically see her warm breaths of air appear in a small cloud in front of her.

“..Dead..”

Miana scrunched her eyes shut feeling the hot tears pool out of her eyes and slowly graze their way down her cheek. The shadows could feel her break inside and practically shouted dashing forward ready to take whatever light she had left inside when the thick door busted open by a strong kick. As soon as the door connected with the wall the shadows screeched in anger as they disintegrated, Miana opened her eyes to see a tall broad figure with purple eyes standing in the doorway.