Chapter 4

"How many trucks are there?" Elizabeth asked as she pulled on her goggles while taxiing the plane across the field, rapidly gaining speed.

"Four," Remy called, "Someone give me something to throw."

"Here," Logan said, reaching into his pocket and handing the contents to Remy. The motorbike and trucks were fast approaching, the flat landscape everyone a clear view. "Come on, Bets, get us in the sky!"

"I'm trying. Everyone hold on!"

BANG!

Monet shrieked.

"Bloody hell," Logan grumbled.

"Mademoiselle, please, sit down," Fantomex said, trying to push Monet back.

Remy lent out of the door and threw the charged papers Logan had given him.

"Sit down!" Elizabeth yelled as the nose of the plane began to rise.

BOOM!

Remy's aim was true, and he hit the second of the four trucks, which the third then drove into, but the fourth went around and the first was hot on the tail of Warren and Rogue.

BANG! BANG!

The troops fired in retaliation.

"Rogue's been hit!" Monet screamed.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

"Are they aiming at us or them?" Elizabeth asked.

"Rogue's been hit!"

"What?" Elizabeth called over the engine noise.

"Get us up, Elizabeth!" Logan yelled. "Monet, sit down. Remy, here," Logan ripped one of the buttons off his coat. There was little else on board the plane they could afford to lose. "Throw this."

The plane bounced as it left the ground. Elizabeth and Logan watched the skies, convinced they would see enemy planes coming towards them at any moment. Remy threw the button which landed in front of the fourth truck, which swerved and tipped over in a ditch on the side of the track. "Look!" Fantomex called, pointing at their two colleagues below. Warren had thrown off his coat, spread his wings, wrapped his arm around Rogue's waist, flew up towards the plane. Rogue looked awfully limp.

"Faster Elizabeth, come on," Logan urged, glancing out the side window and seeing the Gestapo lining up behind their trucks, snipers at the ready.

"Shut up, Logan. Just shut up!"

"Reach!" Monet yelled.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

"ROGUE!"

Rogue slipped and fell from Warren's grasp. Monet pushed past Remy and Fantomex and dived out of the plane.

"NO!"

"MONET, DON'T!"

"What is going on?" Elizabeth yelled.

"&%#$ING MONET JUST JUMPED OUT OF THE &%#$ING PLANE!"

"She can fly! I have to get to altitude." Elizabeth could no longer allow her mind to be in two places. If she couldn't get the plane out, they'd all die. She had to save who she had, and count the losses when back on home soil. Her heart pounded in her chest. She could feel Warren coming closer.

//Keep going, Bets.//

The plane bounced again as they passed through a low cloud.

"Reach!" Fantomex yelled.

BANG! BANG!

"REACH! COME ON!"

"ROGUE!"

"COME ON, MONET!"