Chapter 10

"You're early, Logan," Emma said, as he opened the car door.

"My ride was quick, and ain't got nowhere better to be. You ok?"

"Why shouldn't I be?" Emma asked, climbing out and straightening her coat. The night was still, but the air was icy.

Logan closed the car door. "Scott ok?"

"How about we all stick to minding our own business."

"Just asking."

"Please don't, and don't make me remind you which of us is in charge in front of the others. The line of command is thus; me, Elizabeth, you. Do I make myself clear."

Logan shuffled his feet. It was one thing to question Emma back in London, but it was a different game they were playing now. "Yeah, I got it, change the subject. I've spoken to our pilot, and looks like everything's good to go. Rest of the team should be arriving over the next quarter of an hour. Here we are," Logan said, leading Emma into a hanger.

"Wonderful."

"All the team is coming?"

"Please be direct," Emma said.

"Fantomex. Did Lee get through to those boffins down Whitehall?"

"Yes," Emma said.

"And?"

"He's not who he thinks he is."

Logan considered her words for a moment, making sure they made sense. "Is he a danger?"

"Not to himself I don't believe. And more of a inconvenience than a threat to the rest of us."

"Totally putting my mind at ease, Ems."

"I do try," she looked at Logan, "If he stuffs up, and the situation should go in such a direction that your claws end up in his chest, there really won't be any tears shed."

Logan smirked.

"Oh, good evening, Miss Frost."

"Good evening, Agent Brand," Emma said, shaking hands with Agent Abigail Brand, commander of a rather clandestine branch of the RAF and their pilot for the evening.

"Cup of tea?"

"Please."

"Logan?"

"Thanks, Brand."

"Excellent," Agent Brand said, "Mr Logan, you'll find the tea room two hangers down. I take mine black, one sugar."

Logan looked confused, before ambling off, deciding against crossing their pilot else he find himself with the dodgy parachute. Emma and Brand looked over the maps, and were shortly joined by Elizabeth (Logan being sent to procure another cup of tea), followed by Remy and Rogue, and finally Jean-Philippe.

"Ah, another beautiful English belle," he said, taking Agent Brand's hand and kissing it. "Shall you also be joining us on our adventure? The more the merrier."

Agent Brand raised her eyebrows. Betsy had to look away to suppress a giggle.

"Bub," Logan said, putting a firm hand on Jean-Philippe's shoulder, "Just don't."

...

The bell rang to call the recruits to training. Monet put down her book, slid off the bed, and grabbed her coat from the back of the door. Standard issue. At least it was cut well, but she wasn't exactly a fan of trench-coats, regardless of who the supplier was. As she opened the door, her bag fell from the hook, having been dislodged by the removal of her coat, and the contents scattered across the floor.