Chapter 24

Elizabeth, Remy and Logan caught up to Emma and Warren four miles from Calais. Remy embraced Emma, and Elizabeth explained the arrival of Fantomex and his band.

"I'm sure I told you I knew what I was doing," Emma said, though her voice sounded far away, and there was no disguising that her every step was an effort.

Those final few miles seemed to stretch out eternally. Eventually, they passed through the township of Calais and made their way down to the seashore, which was covered in shrapnel and barbed wire, just as the eastern sky was beginning to turn grey.

"No what?" Remy asked, looking out to sea, hoping that the tide wasn't hiding more barbed wire in the water.

"Reach out," Emma said, turning to Betsy.

//To Scott?//

Emma nodded.

"Anyone else?"

"I don't know."

Elizabeth scanned out to sea. It only took a moment to find that calm, familiar mind. //Scott Summers, you are a wonder.//

//Is Emma there?//

//A little worse for wear, but she's here. And Remy, Logan, and Warren. How far out are you?//

//Hard to tell in the mist. A hundred yards? I don't dare come closer. I can't risk hitting anything.//

//Do you have any telepaths on board?//

//No. It's me, Alex, Commander Brand, and Jubilee.//

//Jubilee?//

//Emma's secretary.//

//Miss Lee's got a code name now?//

//I probably should have brought Monet. She's back in Dover with Storm. I should - //

//This is fine,// Elizabeth said, happy to know Ororo was waiting for them at the other end. //Just - give us a moment.//

"Well?" Logan asked.

"Scott's about a hundred yards out. No fliers, no other TPs."

"I - I can't carry anyone," Warren said, avoiding eye-contact. "I'm sorry, but I..."

"We didn't do all this just to drop dead on us now, bub," Logan said.

"Take our coats," Emma said, holding Remy's arm for support.

"What?"

"Our coats," Emma repeated. "It's bloody freezing, so we'll want them when we get to the boat. They'll be too heavy to swim in and - "

"And boots," Warren said. "I can carry the coats and boots."

"Don't worry 'bout mine," Logan said, letting the torn and bloody remains of his coat drop to the sand, "Ain't worth keeping."

The others removed their coats and boots, instantly feeling the cold. Warren removed his coat and stretched his wings. "I'm going to do a three-way link," Elizabeth said, touching Warren's face. "Between you, me and Scott. I should be able to guide you to him. We won't leave the beach until you're on board."

"But - "

"When I'm in the water, it's easier for me to link with you than him. I'll use you as my beacon."

Warren leant his head down and kissed her gently on the lips. "I can smell Monty burning the bacon already."

"There's no such thing as burnt bacon," Elizabeth said, "It's extra-cripsy, just the way I like it."