Chapter 18

"Sophie, she's asleep in there!"

"So? The Captain America show is about to start."

"No it's not."

"Yes it is. It's nearly 6 o'clock."

"It's Sunday. It's not on on Sunday."

"Yes, it is."

"No, it's not."

"You don't know everything, Rachel. It is."

"It isn't."

"Well, I'm turning the wireless on anyway."

It took Rogue a moment to remember what had happened and how she'd ended up back in England. She rolled from her side onto her back and looked up at the ceiling. The room was dark, though a line of line shone under the door, allowing her to see the outline of the furniture. It was a sitting room or drawing room or whatever they called it in England.

"No, Sophie! Dad!"

"Daaad! Rachel's being bossy!"

"Sophie's being thick on purpose."

"No I'm not!"

Rogue sat up. Her head spun and her body ached and she was quite hungry, but she was warm. Everything smelt clean. She noticed she was wearing a nighty she didn't recognise, and her right arm was bandaged up. She had a vague memory of a doctor who must have been about 12 foot tall. Then she had a bath. Then she'd had a little bit to eat and promptly fallen asleep.

"But we have to find out what happens next!"

"It'll be back on on tomorrow, Sophie. I promise that you're not missing out." A man's voice, patient and calm.

"But - "

"She's woken up Rogue."

"How do you know?"

"I can feel that she's awake. I'm not prying."

Rogue heard footsteps coming towards the door. There was a polite knock. "Miss Rogue?"

"Come in," Rogue said, her voice cracking. She cleared her throat. The door opened, and three heads appeared, a gentleman with round, red-glassed spectacles, a ginger-haired teenager, and a little blonde girl. "Oh," Rogue said.

Scott switched on the light, and was followed into the room by two of his daughters. "Good evening. I'm happy to bring your dinner in here if you'd rather. It should be ready in half an hour or so. We're a bit out of order today I'm afraid."

Rogue looked around the room, then to the people in front of her. There were a number of photos on the walls and the mantlepiece. "Oh," said Rogue, realising exactly where she was. Emma had sent them home. To her own home. "Ya'll Emma's family."

"Scott Summers, I'm Emma's husband," Scott said and smiled kindly, "We did meet earlier, but you were a little too dazed for proper introductions," he said, holding out his hand. Rogue shook it awkwardly with her left hand.

"And you vomited in the kitchen."

"Sophie, don't be rude."

"And these are two of my daughters, Rachel and Sophie."

"Good evening," said Sophie, going shy all of a sudden, and taking hold of Scott's hand.

"Good evening," Rachel said, "But I'm not Emma's kid. Only the twins are. And Kitty's kind of adopted. And - you didn't know we existed, did you?"

Rogue shook her head. "Only knew what we had to know. Ah'm Rogue, by the way... but ya'll knew that."

"Is that your real name or your code name?" Sophie asked. "Don't worry, we know all about code-names and secrets and everything that happens."