Chapter 6: Coffee

Karla wandered off, wanting no part of weed her sister had purchased. She preferred to keep her head relatively unadulterated, though she did drink alcohol on rare occasions. If she had a vice, it was coffee. She was one of those people who could enjoy a cup right before bedtime and not be bothered by the caffeine. It was never really a boost, just a minimum requirement for staying above water.

A new independent coffee shop had opened near the river. It had a library consisting of an entire wall of used books for sharing. She found a tattered Ursula LeGuin novel and sat down at a tiny table with a mocha latte. She wasn't there ten minutes before a young man came over to flirt.

"Left Hand of Darkness. I love that book. Have you ever wanted to change your gender?"

She glanced up to find a hipsterish fellow with round glasses and an attempted beard. Some overgrown Harry Potter wannabe.

"No," she said.

"Excellent choice. Your gender, I mean. And the book. How do you like it so far?"

"So far I've only read the cover."

"So you don't know it's about aliens who can swap genders at will. Oops! Spoiler alert."

Karla gave him the blankest stare she could summon, the one that had made many a man before him crumble.

"Do you like science fiction?"

"I don't know yet."

"I hope I'm not keeping you from reading."

"Do you?"

"Yes, well. I'm Alec. By the way."

"I didn't ask."

"Just thought you should know. I'm here a lot. Haven't seen you in here before."

"So what are you, the official greeter? Do you always go up to strangers and start jabbering?"

"Just the ones I find interesting."

"Is it my book choice?"

"To be honest, it's you. You have this look about you. This blasé confidence. Like you know things. You've seen behind the curtain."

"I do know some things."

"I can tell."

He pointed to the empty chair across from her.

"Do you mind if I join you?"

"Yes."

Her rejection did not dissuade him and she was starting to simmer with annoyance. She forced herself to remain patient. This one was persistent. He needed to be crushed and humiliated or he would be pestering her every time she came to this shop.

"Are you visiting from afar? Are you a tourist?"

"I live up the loch."

"Funny. You don't sound local. Did you emigrate?"

"Yes. I grew up in Italy."

"How interesting. You don't look Italian. Can I get you another ... latte was it?"

"No thank you."

"Well, I wouldn't want to disturb you."

"Why did you?"

"I saw your book. And you looked ... interesting."

"So, are we to go in circles now?"

"Excuse me?"