Chapter 24: Morning

They had parked beneath a broken street lamp that flickered on now and then but mostly stayed off. The air felt so thick and cool, Karla could almost scoop and eat it with a spoon. Alec had kept the car windows open just an inch to keep the windshield from fogging up too badly. She kept her senses on high alert, parsing every shadow that moved, every meow, knock and flutter in the night, not to mention the occasional snore from Alec, hunched low beneath his steering wheel.

"You still awake?" he mumbled.

"I am."

"I think I might have drifted off a bit."

"You think?"

"How about you? Were you able to catch some winks?"

"No."

"No visitations or comas?"

"No."

"Well then, that's good. I suppose. What time is it?"

"A little after four."

"So if the first mass is at five, someone should be showing up soon."

"Brilliant."

"They really start that early?"

"Yes."

"So do you expect to gain simply by attending mass? I mean, it's just ritual. Is it not? Same every time."

"I'm not going to mass. You are."

"What?"

Alec wriggled out of his slump.

"If Papa's flock is here. They know me. They've never seen you before."

"But I'm not even Catholic. Hardly a Christian even. I wouldn't know how to carry myself."

"Just copy everyone. Mumble. You can skip communion."

"Do I have to do that confession thingie?"

"Not during mass."

He took a deep breath and squirmed.

"I don't know about this, Karla. We're talking about people who sank that poor kid to the bottom of a loch."

"You offered to help."

"But what am I even supposed to be looking for? I don't know these people."

"Get in thre and snap some photos with your phone. Be discreet. No flash. No sound."

"I'm not liking this plan."

"You call yourself a journalist? You're a wimp."

"Here comes somebody!" Alec hissed.

They both slid lower in their seats as a bearded man in a tattered watch cap shuffled past.

"Homeless," said Karla.

"How do you know?"

"What do you mean? Just look at him."

"Looks deceive. He might be a billionaire."

"Doubtful."

Alec's smartphone chimed. He fetched it from his jacket pocket and thumbed it on.

"Oh, brilliant! My mate Robbie says we can stop by anytime. He'll leave a key under the mat."

"Your friend is up this early?"

"He probably never went to bed."

With each passing minute, morning light sifts through the thick overcast. A few more pedestrians appear on the pavements, but none seem to have no interest in attending mass at Saint Barnaby's.