Chapter 48: Retreat

Lights flashing, sirens on full, two police cars arrived at the compound together. Before their doors had even opened to disgorge their officers, the altar boys had flung down their rifles and backed away. For the most part, the ruggers stood down as well apart from one unruly and staggering prop who was quickly subdued with a night stick.

Karla rushed over to help Alec up to his feet. 

"Oh my God! Were you hit?"

"My upper arm. Just a flesh wound I think."

The police had yet to notice them lurking in the shadow of a massive oak.

"Let's get out of here."

They ran up and over the berm, through the scratchy pines to the power line cut, where they stumbled over unseen ruts and gopher holes. Not till they crossed the beech wood and reached the edge of the golf course did they stop to rest.

Alec set Isobel down gingerly onto the grass of a finely manicured green and rested his face in his palms.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm okay. It hurts like a beast. But I don't feel dizzy or anything."

She reached over and touched his sleeve.

"Sticky."

Karla pulled a bandanna off her head and tied it tight around Alec's wound.

"Was Izzie hit?"

"I don't think so."

Karla patted her still form.

"Her blouse is wet."

"Probably my blood."

"Are you sure?"

"I don't dare flick on a torch, they could be after us."

Karla leaned over and checked her sister's breathing, which seemed normal enough. Her pulse was rather quick, but it was strong.

"Did they drug her or something?" asked Alec.

"No. Her soul is away."

"So she's in one of your coma states?"

"Yes."

"Really? So she also visits that place you go? Does this run in the family or something?"

"Severe depression? Yes. Of course. I saw her there. We hung out a bit. That's how I learned where they were keeping her."

"I see. So how is she doing on the other side?"

"A little too well. A little too pleased with herself if you asked me."

A torch beam raked the trees above their head. Voices could be heard from the area of the power line.

"Bollocks! We'd better get moving."

***

They reached the Audi well ahead of the police. Alec removed the brush screening the front of the car from the road while Karla got Izzie situated in the back seat.

Most of Alec's bleeding had been stanched by the tourniquet, but Izzie's blouse was damp with fresh blood. This worried Karla somewhat. Feeling around in the dark, she could not find any obvious wound. Her sister was still breathing fine, her heartbeat strong. Once they got back north they could have someone look at her. Mrs. Ambrose knew a retired veterinarian who could provide care without them having to visit an actual clinic and face questioning.

Alec clambered into the driver's seat and grimaced as he reached for the shoulder strap.

"Are you well enough to drive?"