Chapter 59 - Vienna

The mental hospital in Vienna had rooms for visitations that were furnished for maximum hominess and sentimentality. There were photographs in frames but no glass that could break and create shards of mayhem. The magazines were all screened and censored and scissored of images that could disturb the already disturbed. It was cozy, but it was not home.

Karla stayed by her mother's side until the very last minute she possibly could and still catch the overnight train to Rome. Tears flooded her face when she finally broke from her mother's embrace and rushed to the station. Vienna was all in bloom, the leaves of the trees all fresh and bright. She barely noticed them. They were more abstraction than reality to her.

It had been nearly a decade since the last time she had seen her mother and her condition had not improved. Schizophrenia and harsh treatments had distilled her mother into a ball of anxiety, fretting constantly over hallucinated insects that were coming in through every portal of her room.

It made for some impressive art. Her gouache watercolors were stunning if not repetitious. Fanciful insects of types that had never graced this world swarmed the surface of every piece of cardboard, canvas or shingle she could get her hands on.

Karla could not be certain that her mother recognized despite expressing some familiarity upon her arrival. At least she posed no danger to herself or any other patients in the facility so she did not have to stay in the most secure words. At least she had a window she could look out from and into a park.

Karla did not tell her much. They kept their conversations general. The weather in Rome. The latest exhibits at the Vatican museum. Classical music. That was about all they shared in common any more.

Her mother did not mention Papa even once during the visitation. At least she had the blessing of having that monster scrubbed from her mind.

Most of the visit had been spent just sitting together in silence, listened to the wind chimes on a neighboring balcony. They had the loveliest woody and percussive sound, like dried gourds knocking together. At least her mother had found peace. It was a shame that her psyche had to resort to insanity to secure that peace.

Mother kept a box of treasured possessions that she allowed Karla to peruse. It was the most random collection of objects and letters, some of them seeming to have little relevance to herself personally. There were thimbles and beach stones, silk ribbons and acorns.

One collection was comprised mostly of utility bills and tithing receipts from Rome. Mother had not lived with the family very long during their time together in Rome. Only a few months after their arrival from Austria she had been referred for treatment at a psychiatric hospital.

Thus, Karla was riveted by the one letter that seemed to refer to her:

My Dearest Father Vittorio,

I do trust that you and your Holy brethren are faring well. Through Jesus and Mary, may the Lord Our God Bless you all! I am writing to inquire about the possibility of your taking on another potential transfer student. I refer to a young lady, thirteen years of age in my care, who is dealing with a disturbing attraction to 'music' and 'performances' of the most extreme vulgarity. Months of prayers and counseling have led only to repeated incidents of recidivism. Her parents and counselors are now at wits end.

It has reached the point where the influence of nefarious forces is suspected, though not quite to the point where the Pastor feels that an exorcism may be necessary. She is otherwise the most chaste and polite and obedient young girl and would seem quite malleable to your techniques. If you are at all able to handle yet another enrollee we would be happy to cover all expenses and add to your stipend as appropriate. We would fully understand if you feel your capacity stretched to the limit, but would love to be informed of any future openings once they become available.

Once again, thank you so much for all your good works. Regardless of your decision, we wish you only the kindest blessings. May God continue hold you in his mighty grip of grace and love.

Pax et Bonum,

Edmund Raeth

This was the only written evidence she had ever found that indicated that Papa actually felt any fondness or mercy towards her, that he actually cared for her welfare. She was touched that he would actually have endeavored to avoid her undergoing an exorcism.

She could not bring herself to put the letter back into the stack. When mother was distracted by a visitor from across the ward, she had tucked it discreetly into her purse.

Rushing down the road to Europaplatz, upon arriving at the Wien Westbahnhof, she discovered her train to be delayed another hour. She considered returning to the hospital but instead, found a bench and sat with an elderly couple, watching the crowd, taking in the sights and sounds.

She felt freer than she had in the longest time. Not having to worry about Izzie anymore was in itself a tremendous burden lifted. And Gaia had come through with her promise of riches. The Euro notes she had created were indeed indistinguishable from the real thing. But then again, she had come to learn that nothing and everything were truly real. Reality and fantasy followed a continuum that was blurred at the edges.

She thought often of Alec. How disappointed she was in him. Something good had been building between them only to be dashed apart by his rash and stupid action. His drift between cowardice and bravery, cleverness and idiocy confused her. Who was he really? What kind of man would he be when he settled into his soul?

Perhaps he deserved another chance. Perhaps she would go visit him someday soon. She had the funds to travel. Gaia had made certain of that.

She wished them well, James and Gaia. She really deed. Whatever jealousy or envy she might have felt a year ago had be dulled by all that had happened to her in the interim.

She was grateful to learn that James harbored no animosity towards her for what had happened to their relationship. He still seemed to genuinely enjoy her presence. She had taken him for granted for sure. She had never met a soul that meshed with such ease with her own. How it had not occurred to her how rare such a meshing was in this universe, and how unlikely it would be to ever happen again, she did not know. She vowed never to make that mistake again.

She had no desire to ever go back to Root. And though she still became depressed enough to draw the attention of the roots, they were so feeble these days she could easily fend them off.

Izzie was the only reason for her to go back, but she was inaccessible for now. No ordinary souls made the passage between Root and the new realm. The ark had been a one shot deal. There would be no shuttling of the non-Illumined between the realms.

Someday, inevitably, she would return to some realm in the after lands. That much was inevitable for everyone. And then she could make the rounds and visit the people she knew. She could get around. She had connections.

As she sat and let the commotion of the platforms flow around her, an announcement came over the loudspeaker that her train was ready for boarding. She had no luggage, just a small backpack. She slung it over her shoulder and made her way to her train car. The visit with her mother had left her exhausted. She would sleep well tonight.

*****

THE END