11: The Cause (Edited)

This chapter has been grammatically and punctually edited. Please kindly comment any mistakes you find.

"Sally?" I asked, as we sat across from each other at Percy's bed.

"Yes, sweetie?" she asked with tired eyes.

"Who called Percy? Before he had...the accident...who called him?"

She sighed, "It was Annabeth."

Annabeth? Why would she call him? He hasn't heard from her in five years, from what I know of. They met at a summer camp, but after two years she moved away to California. I met her once over the winter, when I met Percy.

I nodded, and decided to investigate. She did this, and I need to know how.

I stood.

-TIME SKIP-

"Hello?" came a feminine voice from the other end.

I held the phone close to the side of my head, "Hello, is this Annabeth Chase?"

"Yes, who's calling?"

"I'm Percy's boyfriend, Nico di Angelo. You've met me once before. I was wondering if I could talk to you for a few minutes."

"Oh, um, sure, Nico. . ." her hesitant voice spoke.

"A few months ago you gave Percy a call. Do you know about what happened afterwards?"

"The heartattack? Yeah, I do."

"What about the coma?"

A moment of silence. "The what?"

"He's in a coma, Annabeth. Ever since."

"Oh, my God. No, I didn't know."

"Annabeth, what did you talk to him about? Right before the attack?"

"I-I..."

"Please. I need to know."

"Look, Nico, I understand your concern, but-"

"My concern?!" I shout. "He had a heart attack and now he's in a freaking coma! Tell me what you said to him!"

She sighed. "I told him different things."

"Like?!"

She sighed again. "Well, here goes nothing. First, I told him about my mother and his father. They are getting married. And then I told him about our friend Grover. He was in a car accident, he's in a wheelchair now. Along with that, our old camp director Chiron passed away. And finally, I told him my brother Luke cheated on his older sister Thalia. There, you have it. Now if you'll please excuse me, I have a meeting to attend."

The phone call ended.

I crumpled to my knees.