thirteen

Taeyong sat in the lounge at the airport waiting for his flight to be called.

He had left home earlier than necessary because his parents had invited Jaehyun over for Dinner. His mom claimed she wanted to discuss some ideas she had for the hotels with him. What was she going to talk about anyway? Scented sheets?

He didn't want to see Jaehyun so he had left. Now here he was, waiting with a couple who obviously didn't want to be parted.

Taeyong couldn't keep his eyes off them. They were acting like they couldn't stand to be parted.

Geez, it wasn't like they were never going to see each other again, Taeyong mused. It was a mere trip.

But then... love could do that to people right?

He felt a pang when he thought of Jaehyun.

How he wished he could have what the couple had with Jaehyun. But he couldn't.

He was about to get married. He envied Chaeyeon so much though he didn't know her. It didn't matter... she had Jaehyun.

Taeyong's misery knew no bounds. How was he going to survive this? He always felt a sharp pain in his chest whenever he thought of Jaehyun and Chaeyeon together.

His noona, Taerin, claimed he now acted like a zombie. There was no 'life' in him.

He had to start living again somehow. But he felt he could only live if he had Jaehyun in his life.

"Hey, are you ok?"

Taeyong looked up to see the couple, looking intently at him. The lady had asked the question.

"Sure. Why do you ask?" He smiled wondering why they would bother with him in the first place.

"You..."

The lady made gestures on her face that signaled there were tears on Taeyong's.

He quickly reached up and felt the wetness on his cheeks.

"Oh!" He wiped at his cheeks furiously and blushed. "Don't mind me." He told the couple who looked at him with concerned faces.

"Woman trouble?" The guy asked.

"Yeah you could say that." Taeyong muttered.

"Life is short. Make up with her and forget about everything else." The lady chipped in, smiling so sweetly but sadly at Taeyong.

"Thanks." He told them, just as they were called to board. He stood and walked towards the boarding gate.

Make up? Ha! How about Chaeyeon? Well how about her? He didn't owe her anything right?

But then, Taeyong stopped walking and stood still, lost in thought.

He had the sick fear in his gut, the horrible insecurity that told him he didn't have any reason to live if he lost the man he loved more than anything.

Jaehyun had made it clear he didn't mind having Taeyong in his life too. He wanted Jaehyun. And he was going to be with Jaehyun. He was going to have him any way he could and damn the consequence. Though there was still a little voice in his head cautioning him to guard himself from getting hurt, he ignored it.

What had the lady said? Life was short right?

Taeyong looked around him and realized he was almost to the gate. His luggage had already been taken on board but he didn't care. He was going to Jaehyun and damn the trip.

"Thanks guys. I'm going back to make up." He paused long enough to tell the couple who were saying their final goodbyes, and rushed out of the airport to loud cheering by the couple.

Taeyong called the person who was to meet him in Paris to tell him there had been a change in plans. He told him to schedule a conference call for all the stakeholders the following day and expect him in Paris at a later date.

Then he hailed a taxi and was on his way back home, where he knew Jaehyun was.

He couldn't keep the excited grin off his face.

Damn he was going to have a hard time keeping his hands off Jaehyun. He knew he was going to have to make a conscious effort not to give their relationship away to his family.

Taeyong was almost home when he heard the breaking news on radio.

"Korean Air plane crashes Immediately after take off-"

He froze.

According to the news, airport workers were trying to rescue people from the wreckage. The newscaster went on to say that the front part of the plane had suffered the main crush. It was therefore feared that most people flying first class and the pilots were probably dead.

Taeyong was meant to fly first class...

"God..."

He started shaking. All the blood drained out of his skin. He turned as white as a sheet. He had almost died but for his decision to go be with Jaehyun.