A Subtle Thing

Warren sets aside the warm honeyed milk on the table, pleased that Devin is reading the book he has picked for him. It's quite rare that his lordling would willingly let himself be taught.

"I wonder how Malcolm got so good in swordplay in this tale." Devin asks right in the middle of reading A Plight to the Sea, "He's a carpenter but he picked things up real fast."

"He practiced as you are right now with your reading." Warren answers. He glances at the old tome in the middle of the bookshelf, "I suggest you keep at it so we can move on with History: The Life Before and After the War."

Devin followed his gaze, and groans, "I already know what happens in the book. Children talk about it, and travelling bards sing it." He points a finger at the smaller book on the table, "Malcolm finally finds his fiancé, Finnian, after a year of searching for him. The once handsome face of Finnian was scarred, and he has trouble walking because the slavers smashed his heels with a mace for helping the elderly and children free themselves. Afraid that Malcolm will no longer love him for his beauty and talent, he tries pushing him away. But Malcolm will have none of it because..."

Devin closes his eyes, and Warren smiles, "Go on."

"Because from the start he's loved him most ardently without reserve, even with the scars and bruises he still finds him...", Devin tries not to blush. "The most beautiful person he has ever laid his eyes on."

"Very good, Devin. That wasn't too hard now, was it?" Warren claps his hands, "Other than the romance between our protagonists, there's also the discernable matter of greed and malicious intent from the slavers and council men involved."

"That's not really important." Devin smiles after sipping his honeyed milk, lounging his feet on top of the table.

Warren puts a hand on Devin's shoulder, smiling wryly as he does so, "That's because most people find love relatable that they turn a blind eye on the other notions that affects the story. The same could also be said in reality."

"What do you mean?" Devin looks up from his cup, milk bubbles decorate the top of his lips.

"To get away from the pains of life, people tend to focus on good things. Rather than finding a solution to their problems. Why suffer knowing the painful truth when you can blissfully live through a peaceful lie? Also, the story reflects on what truly is happening in our day to day lives. The innocent are taken away from their homes and forced to learn to serve a rich master."

"Lucky us then." Devin laughs it off before finishing his drink, "No gold but we can eat all the eggs we want."

"So lucky that I'm sure that you wouldn't mind writing a reflection paper for each chapter." He says, expression turning sour.

"Oh come on, no fair." His lordling shakes his head, defiant. "It's like seven chapters long."

"Yes, seven chapters only." Warren nods, "It's the summarized version. So no excuses."

Unlike his brother, Devin inherited their father's exterior qualities. Why, in a few more years, Warren thinks, this man will break a lot of hearts. It is no great secret that the second son of Lord Fitzgerald is handsome, but the moment he opens his mouth, he's no longer all that handsome to the beholder.

"But, I'll miss sword practice in the barracks." Devin complains, physically stopping himself from rolling on the floor to show further disdain.

"I don't see the problem." Warren raises one bushy red brow, "You aren't one of our soldiers."