In the blink of an eye

Anything can happen in the blink of an eye.

Adrien walked out of the doors of his college. No one was smiling. No one cheered. It was the first day of summer. It was also her birthday. Today, she was 19.

Alya and Nino looked at him. Asking him a silent question. He nodded slightly. They passed the bakery. It was closed. He assumed it would be. The paparazzi would be too much for them to handle.

They passed the park. He could almost hear her laugh. They made their way into the hospital. The secretary smiled brightly. She greeted them in a weird way. Like she couldn't stop herself from giggling. They walked in. Confused.

Adrien led the way. As usual. He stopped at the last door on the second floor. There was security placed outside the door. There had been too many incidents where someone broke into her room. But today, they were restless. They couldn't stop moving around. They were whispering to each other. When the saw Adrien they stopped. Trying not to smile.

Adrien was confused. How could they be giggling today of all days. He opened the door. The curtain surrounding the bed was up. The three of them walked over to it. He pulled it back halfway slowly.

"Happy birthday Marinette."

He looked in the bed. And she was gone.

He ripped the rest of the curtain away.

"Marinette!" He looked around the room.

"Security!" They came running in alarmed. "How can she be gone? You were supposed to protect her!" He turned around and muttered "Plagg, claws out." Chat Noir stood in Adrien's place. He was walking away from the window  when he heard heard a gasp. He looked at Alya, worried.

"What? What is it?" Alya and Nino couldn't speak. They cried instead.

"Who you lookin for kitty?"

He heard her. Clear as day. He turned around. Slowly. There she was. His lady. His princess. His love.

"Marinette?!" He hugged her. And cried. He de transformed and held her.

"Chat! Why would you drop your transformation!" She had closed her eyes.

"Umm M'lady, everyone knows who we are."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Um okay." She dropped her transformation and looked at Alya and Nino.

"Marinette? Is that really you?"

"Yeah. It's me."

"Oh my gods." Alya hugged her best friend. Crying.

"You see everything happens in the blink of an eye. You can die. You can resurrect. And everything in between. You just have to learn to accept it."

"No Marinette, don't do it."

"Goodbye Adrien."

Adrien woke up. He jumped out of bed. It was the same dream. It always was.

He looked to his side. There she was. His wife. He couldn't tell her about his dreams. They swore to never talk about her again. But he couldn't do it. He loved Marinette. Even if he was married. He would never forget her. All he needed was to find the two miraculous.

Now that he was married, the Ladybug one was easy. All he needed now was the ring. His old ring. That one would have to wait. After all. It's not easy to forgive your best friend if they stole the love of your life.

If Adrien had to suffer from Marinette's death. Then Nino could suffer for Alya.

He looked at Alya.

"And to think, Marinette's best friend is right here. Sleeping next to the love of her life. What would she say?"

He got up. 5:30 am. As usual. The time she died. He went down stairs. No longer wanting to be next to Alya. Truth be told she made his skin crawl. He hated her. But if he wanted Ladybug's earrings then he needed her to trust him.

And trust him she did.

And now, it was nino's turn.

After all, anything can happen in the blink of an eye. That was what Alya demonstrated when she killed Marinette. Married Adrien. And became Ladybug.

What a long blink of an eye.