Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Immortals

Chapter 28.

There wouldn't be anything in the world, for me to see Esmeralda beaming face light up. Now, I have no idea what I'm doing as I'm rushing out the door and running for my life. I had decided to leave Serena with Erik. It was my choice and mine alone. I knew my decision was selfish, but I wanted to see my family again. They didn't deserve to die the way they died.

I had recently packed a few belongings of mine; however, I had forgotten to bring some kind of snack for the long journey I was going to make. I sighed sadly knowing all to well that Damon was in the hands of Laurent.

I couldn't help feeling the pain I felt when I thought of Damon. He saved my life and here I am trying to restore my parent’s life, but what if I ask them if I can save both? That may work.

I didn't bother to think twice of my decision. I have no idea where I'm going, but I sure know I've done one thing right. I've entered the Fountain of Youth without turning old; therefore, I hold the stone of youth. The second part of my act was to go to the Land of the Mischief, but how in the world was I going to find it?  The thing is I hardly had anything with me; all that I had with me was a couple of money and my favorite necklace my mother had given to me.

My legs were hurting from all the walking I had done. I sat down on the ground seeing the water fall right in front of me which I had just noticed.

I gaze at the many colors seeing the sun reflect to the waterfall, "Why!" I shout, "Why me? I don't deserve this kind of punishment!" I sat down, throwing my things beside me. I had traveled a long way from the house and I'm stranded with nothing but my things.

My eyes traveled down the river and that’s when I saw her. I closed my eyes shut trying my best not to freak out as I felt footsteps reach my way until it stopped.

“Penelope, why do have to be so stubborn?” Esmeralda smirked, “Surprised?”

I couldn’t move as Esmeralda stood before me with her smile stretching wide. This can’t be real, can it? I reach out to touch her, but I felt a cold shiver reach my hand when I realized that she was a ghost.

“How-how is it possible that I can see you?” I asked, disbelief as I stood up and circled around her, “Wait, does that mean mom and dad are here?” I quickly took glances as I found no one, but her.

Esmeralda only laughed, “Sadly, no.” she glanced up at the sky seeing the bright sun beam at us, “They moved on to better things, but I didn’t. I couldn’t stand just leaving you.” She said,

Guilty.

I felt guilty.  How could I make my sister not go to the after life? I made her stay, but isn’t this what I wanted? I should be glad that she’s here, but she’s not completely here.

“Esmeralda, how is this even possible?” I asked,

“Fate has a lot of things on stake for you and they thought that if I could guide you to the right place then they might consider me coming back.”

“Fate doesn’t bring people back to life, can they?” I say gazing as my older sister smiled, “-but what happens when they do choose to bring you back? Will mother and father come back?”

I hadn’t realized that Esmeralda was covering her chest when she sadly dropped her hands to the side. I gasped seeing the sharp stab on her chest with dried blood. I could see her heart and I almost wanted to grab her and pull her into a hug, but she was a ghost.

“No.” she frowned, “They made there choice and that was to move on. They thought I could move on, but I just couldn’t leave you here by yourself. I know you would’ve done the same for me.”

She was right. I would have abandoned my parents and try to come back to Esmeralda.

“So, you’re looking for the Land of the Mischief?” she said,

I nodded my head, “How did you know?” I asked,

“Fate told me.” She said, “Also, about the boy who is kidnapped by…Laurent. I think that’s his name.”

“Yes, Laurent is his name.” I grimaced getting that odd feeling back.

“Well, if you haven’t realized it but the Land of Mischief isn’t that far away as you think.”

I narrow my brow, “How close are we talking here?”

She rose up from the ground and floated to the waterfall, “Follow me!” she shouted, she faded inside the waterfall as I rubbed my temples together,

“Are you insane?” I shouted. No response.

I took my stuff and tied it to my waist, so it wouldn’t pull me under the water. I swam until I reached the waterfall and I could see a cave. I held my breath as I went under the water, before I saw Esmeralda floating body hovering over my head.

“Come one slow poke!” she reached for my hand, forgetting that she was a ghost I took it falling in the water, “Sorry!” she shouted, “I didn’t mean to.”

I frowned, “Its okay.” spitting water out from my mouth as I climbed out of the water, “I forgot.”

I took off my t-shirt leaving just my tank-top as I rolled up my t-shirt to soak up the water. Before I could even try to put my t-shirt back on, it had magically vanished from my hands.

“Hey!” I yelled, glaring at Esmeralda who only innocently smiled back.

“What?” she said,

“Give it back.” I say.

“I have no idea what your talking about.” She smirked,

“Esmeralda, this is not the time to be playing around!” I yelled angrily,

“It wasn’t me. I promise you. It was……that.” she pointed past me as I turned around to face three looking monkey dragon creatures fighting over my t-shirt.

They were magnificent as there tails were scales with sharp like knives. They had the head of a monkey, but the body of a dragon, “Great. I guess where here.”

“Yeah, and you better keep a close eye on where you put things. This is the Land of the Mischief.”