Chapter Six- Truth & Consequence

Ada scrolled through his iPod as Tom drove, her hair still damp from the shower she'd taken at his apartment.

"Hanson?" Her tone was high pitched and amused.

Tom's eyes narrowed on her for only a moment before they returned to the street. "I won't apologize for that. It's a damn awesome cover."

Ada pressed play and listened to the cover of 'Ain't No Sunshine'.

"Well?" he questioned, wanting her opinion. It was a good cover. Just three guys performing live.

"You have Hanson on your iPod."

He kept his eyes on the road and didn't miss a beat. "Fuck you."

Ada laughed and continued listening to the song. He could sense her eyes on him, felt as they wandered, investigated. He wondered what the purpose was. Did she notice the stubble on his face from not having shaved since the beginning of her disappearing act? Did she notice the wrinkles he swore weren't there before?

It convinced Tom this shit had aged him ten years since Friday.

"You look tired," she said once the song ended, her voice small and timid.

There was no point in denying it. "I am tired. I've hardly slept in two days."

"That's my fault, isn't it?"

Tom approached the last stoplight at the edge of town and applied the brakes before looking at her. He kept his sunglasses on, not wanting her to see just how hard this all hit him. She knew, but didn't realize. "Yes."

She looked down toward her lap, unable to maintain his eye contact, and tucked her damp hair behind her ears. "I'm sorry."

"It's bad, isn't it?" Tom questioned, uncertain if he wanted the answer or not.

Seeing her next to him, knowing she was safe at least, served as some amount of comfort, but it was also unnerving not knowing what was happening.

Ada looked up again. "It isn't good. It will change everything."

"You aren't pregnant, are you?"

Her pupils grew and cheeks flushed when he asked that, and she looked at him like he was a lunatic.

Tom didn't know much about her social life. Britt had teased her about not having sex in a year just the other day, but he doubted Britt knew everything about her.

Ada didn't shut herself off, but she didn't share much about those things. Not that she had reason to share with him.

Maybe it was inappropriate to ask her that question. Hell, it was undeniably inappropriate. But they'd pushed the boundaries enough that Tom didn't care enough to respect them now. Not with this.

The car behind them beeped their horn and Tom hit the gas, still shooting glances at her. "Are you?"

"No," she bit back. "I'm not pregnant."

Instead of taking the exit, Tom turned onto the nearest back road and put the car in park. Once he stopped, he removed his seatbelt to face her. "I know you wanted to leave town to get away from whatever the hell is happening. I get that. Everyone has times where they just want to drive away from all their problems, even if just for a few hours of peace."

Tom took a lengthy breath before he took off his hat to rub at his hair. "I thought I could give that to you and if you really need, I'll keep trying. I'll keep my mouth shut until I'm blue in the face if you ask me to-"

"Huntington's," she said the word so fast that it just tumbled out of her mouth.

Tom thought for a moment, trying to connect the word to something. Anything. "The bank?"