Chapter Forty-One: An Indiscretion

Frank waited until Ada left the room before stepping further in. His lips pressed in a fine line as he looked at Tom for a long enough length of time to make him feel uncomfortable. "I got around to reading Brittney's article. Fine piece of writing."

Tom nodded and began picking up a few of the apples, already feeling like it was a lost cause. "It was a good piece."

"Yes, especially considering her previous ones have been..." he paused for a moment and tried to come up with the right choice of words, "substandard."

Tom laughed. "I would have gone with lazy, but substandard works too. Apparently, all it took was the right topic."

Frank knocked his fist against a desk, causing an apple to roll off and fall to the ground in a thud. "She could go far in writing if she applied herself in college."

Tom couldn't agree more. Brittney was bright, but he saw it all the time in his line of work. Students, popular ones especially, didn't like to let on to their friends just how smart or talented they were. He hoped that they later went on to college and could live up to their own expectations rather than living by someone else's.

"I also heard about the speech you gave in class on Monday, telling your class about your choice to resign."

After adding the apples he collected to another pile on the counter by the window, Tom let out a sigh and leaned against it. "I said what they needed to hear."

"You did indeed," Frank agreed with a nod. "Bullying in this school isn't any different from other schools, I imagine. It takes a strong teacher to stand up in front of a class and confront it."

"Frank-"

"Are you still certain that resigning is the right choice? You're an excellent teacher, Tom, and a good man. I've always known that. And that knowledge has never faltered, even during the rumor. You still have so many lessons to provide these students, lessons that can make a difference."

Tom would be lying if he said he saw this coming. On Monday, they'd both seemed in agreement about his decision. Not to say Frank hadn't been disappointed, but he understood. "I can't stay here, Frank. You know that."

"Not if you intend on having a relationship with a certain student after she graduates. But if you decided to stay, in ten years when I retire, I would consider you an excellent candidate to take over as principal."

Tom blinked, unsure for a moment if he heard the words correctly. But his churning stomach and dry mouth confirmed what he already knew.

When Tom didn't say a word, Frank continued. "You aren't showing nearly as much discretion as you think, Tom." He walked over to the classroom door and closed it. "I don't need you to confirm or deny, Tom, I just need you to listen. Over the years I have watched you grow into an incredible teacher, and not just a teacher, but a man. I'm not here to judge you on your personal life because it isn't my place. But it is my place as principal of this school to urge you to reconsider."

Frank walked over toward a desk and tipped it over to rid it of apples before sitting down. "I've taught you everything I know throughout the years. You were my brightest pupil once upon a time, and you've already surpassed me at such a young age. Tom, you are capable of so many great things and I just don't want to see you throw it all away on a whim. I want you to take over for me. I want to see you continue making these kids lives better and keep teaching them the life lessons that can't learn from any goddamn text book."

"This isn't a whim, Frank," was all Tom could think to say. He knew Frank was just looking out for him. Despite retiring from teaching years ago, there were some things he could never let go of. And while Tom admired that, he couldn't allow it to define his future either.

Frank tapped his knuckles against the desk he occupied, looking down at the object like it was the most fascinating thing in that building. After the tapping stopped, his stare crept upward until it reached Tom. "What happens when she leaves for Brown in the fall? Are you going to follow her? Stay here and pine for her until she comes home for Thanksgiving? Visit her on the weekends?"

Tom knew if he chose an option, he'd be incriminating himself. He didn't consider it bait since Frank told him not to admit to anything, just an oversight. After he wiped at his face, Tom took a slow and steady breath. "She isn't going to college in the fall."

"Jesus, Tom."

Tom opened his mouth, then stopped himself from saying it wasn't about him. Though Frank didn't want to turn Tom in for this, he would still have to watch every word he said. Even if he fucked up and said the wrong thing, if he ended up in jail or could never teach again, Tom knew he still wouldn't take a single moment back.

"Her mom's sick, which is why Ada came to me to begin with. Since there isn't a cure, she's staying home to be with her family."

He took in a long breath through his nose, the sweet aroma of apples overwhelming him, and released it through his mouth. Nerves built inside him, but Tom knew that this was not the place to release them, and not the time. He had to remain level-headed, or he'd end up incriminating himself.

It wouldn't be statutory rape. They hadn't slept together and even if they had, she was of age. But any sexual relations, even just a few stolen kisses, was strictly prohibited between a student and teacher in this state. It carried a sexual misconduct charge if the student was under the age of twenty-one.

Tom knew this not only because he did his homework not long after she asked him to kiss her, but because a nearby college professor was arrested a year ago on such a charge. He remembered thinking it was ridiculous when it happened. They'd proved the woman earned her grades, and they'd been in a relationship for a year and a half, so it wasn't just about sex. But that's how the law worked in their state, and Tom wasn't in the clear just because Ada was over the age of eighteen.

After a few more seconds, Frank broke his stare and once again tugged down his sleeves. "I'll let you get back to work. The offer will be on the table until your last day. Please consider it."

As soon as Frank opened the door and walked through it, Tom let out a breath like he'd been holding it in forever. There was nothing to consider. As he told Ada, he'd already chosen and there was no regret.