Chapter Forty-Three: Firm Rules

Butterflies filled Ada's stomach and fluttered against her skin as she kept her eyes on the driveway, waiting for Tom. They'd been on a road trip together once, but not since admitting their feelings to one another. They'd been alone together, but not without being interrupted.

He'd made himself clear that any rules he set were still in effect until she walked across that stage and received her diploma, yet it flustered her in the best way all the same. And when she saw the cloud of dust in the distance, it all kicked into top gear.

"When you gunna be home?" her father asked as he entered the room behind her.

Ada didn't bother turning when she responded. Just watched the cloud of dust inch its way closer until a black charger came into view. "Not sure."

"Where you goin'?"

She wasn't sure of the answer to that question either, so she shrugged and watched as the Charger parked behind her sister's vehicle.

"You know, when I told you at the beginning that I wanted to know where you was and when you'd get back, that wasn't me askin'."

Ada turned as Tom stepped out of the vehicle and grabbed her purse. "It's just a getting out-of-town thing, dad."

When she looked at her dad to give him a comforting smile, Ada could sense he wasn't comforted.

He looked at her with a pinched expression and narrowed eyes as he rubbed at his overgrown beard. "When I said no dating until he got my permission, that wasn't me askin' either." Her father let out a small sigh before crossing his arms. "You make sure and let him know that he's still gotta ask."

"So you can kick him in the balls?"

"Hey," her father defended, "he's got it comin'. It's 'bout time the man learned that pushing my buttons has consequences. And I think I've been damn good 'bout this whole thing."

Ada went up to her father and gave him a big hug. She wanted him to know how much she appreciated him because he was being incredible about this.

"You've been great, dad," Ada reassured him with one last squeeze before she let him go. "And as soon as we figure out where we're going, I'll let you know."

Her father sucked in a long breath, keeping his green eyes on hers, then exhaled. "You'll also let me know when you two start headin' back."

Ada nodded. "I will. Promise."

A knock on the door grabbed both their attention. Her dad looked in the sound's direction before turning his attention back. "Don't have too much fun tonight. You best make sure he keeps it in his pants. You get me?"

His comment caused a flush to take over Ada's cheeks, and she cringed at the words. Ada hid her eyes underneath her hand as if to disappear. "Shit, dad."

When Ada heard the front door close, she moved a finger out of the way just in time to see Tom come in the room.

"What?" he asked.

Her father answered him. "I was just telling Ada that if your pecker comes out tonight, it's gettin' chopped off."

Tom stopped in his tracks and pressed his lips together. She could see him squirm, but his posture straightened. "I wouldn't worry about that. I've got rules of my own."

"First off," her father said after clearing his throat, "it's my job to worry about that. Second, somethin' tells me you've already broken a few of your own rules for her."

He wasn't wrong. Tom didn't have to say it out loud for Ada to know that he likely swore to never have a relationship with a student. He had strong morals and had stood by them until their emotions got the best of them. She also knew that he hadn't planned on kissing her until after graduation.