Chapter Eight- Black Coffee With A Side Of Fear

It was Monday now, and a heavy rain battered against the enormous windows of the coffee shop. She'd gone to school, but remained quiet. Britt must have suspected the worst, but Ada just wasn't ready. After each class, Britt would find her and attempt to get information out of her. And after each class, Ada would deny her of it.

Tom was strong, at least strong enough to keep his emotions in check the best he could. His sadness in class was obvious. The distraction of furniture shopping faded and now all that remained was the reality ahead of her, the reality of now. He avoided looking at her throughout class, only a few brief glances her way. She knew eye contact between them would break them both, and it was not the place.

Breaking was imminent, Ada realized. Rather than 'five stages of grief' she was establishing her own 'stages of acceptance'. What they were, she had no idea. Ada remained caught in the stage of being slightly numb, mostly in a haze. She'd cried a little but knew the actual tears, the ruthless ones, were still ahead of her.

Britt was not strong. Ada loved her, but that was just how it was. She was fun, carefree and had never faced anything serious before. She'd begged Ada to tell her all day. However, ever since Mr. B's class, she was giving her the silent treatment once it became evident he knew, and she didn't.

She'd told Tom about twenty-eight hours ago, and it was too soon for Ada to endure the conversation again. Whether Britt liked it or not, Ada needed time.

The rain brought customers seeking refuge from the storm, and Ada welcomed it and took it all in stride. She was a well-oiled machine at work, taking care of anything and everything at a perfect ease as Peter sat in a corner booth near Tom doing his homework. They didn't know each other, but she told Tom who he was, so he monitored him and offered to help him with the assignments if he needed it.

Crystal wandered in and out, not having as much to do as she would like, but seeming to need to stay in case it got too busy or Ada lost it. It was unnerving being watched, but not surprising. At least Tom was grading papers while keeping his eye on her. Crystal was just staring from the doorway of the kitchen or through the kitchen window.

When the door chimed signaling the newest customer, Ada looked up and her body stiffened. Her father's steel-toed boots drowned out the faint music playing from the speakers, causing old western showdown type music to take over in her mind. He only gave her a momentary glance, then one to Peter before directing his eyes on the place she dreaded most.

He lugged the chair away from the table, causing a slight screech against the floor. Before sitting down, he looked like a giant compared to Tom, who hardly glanced up from his paperwork at the imposition.

Though her father was a gentle man, it was logical to fear him. He may have acted like a hippie, but was built and looked like a biker. He was 6'5" and 240 lbs. of muscle. His sizeable frame easily overshadowed Tom's. He was only gentle when you got to know him.

"You know who I am?"

Tom nodded and set his pen on the table. "You're Ada's dad. We met last year at that party for the newspaper."

Ada approached the table. "Dad, what are you doing?"

"I'm orderin' a coffee. Black."

"You drink your coffee with cream and sugar."

He looked over at Tom. "Black coffee is more intimidatin'."

"Are you trying to intimidate me, Mr. Sinclair?" Tom asked before arranging his elbows against the table and propping his chin against his clasped hands.

Crystal was the one to bring her father his coffee while Ada sat next to her brother, feeling utterly mortified.

"I don't gotta try, son."