Part 6

The time of departure has come. Every member of the fellowship is gathered at the entrance of the peaceful realm of Imladris. Soon they will leave behind the comforts of the realm of Elves and step out into the wild to carry out their deadly mission.

Ithilae stands among them, though a bit off to the side, dressed in clothes fit for long travels. Her bow is on her shoulder and her quiver is full. There is one sword strapped to her hip.

Many have gathered to see them off and it is Lord Elrond who speaks the words of parting; "The Ringbearer is setting out on the quest of Mount Doom and you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will." he reminds them all.

"Farewell. Hold to your purpose and may the blessings of Elves, and Men, and all free folk go with you." he speaks as his eyes run over each member. He holds out his hand in farewell.

"The Fellowship awaits the Ringbearer." Gandalf says, motioning for Frodo to start leading the way when he is ready.

Frodo takes in the sights around him one last time before turning and setting off on the long journey to come. Those who have decided to join him, follow silently after him, both excited for the wait is over, and with a hint of sorrow, for they do not know when and if they will ever come to see their homes again.

Frodo looks a bit unsure as they pass the gate. The road splits and he does not quite know which path to take. "Mordor, Gandalf, is it left or right?" he asks quietly, afraid he will make a fool out of himself if he chooses the wrong one.

"Left." is his answer, as Gandalf puts a hand to his shoulder in a sign of comfort. Frodo turns left and the first steps are made on a long journey to come.

The first days pass rather quickly as they travel South alongside the Misty mountains. The energy in their minds and bodies is still high and they take the time to wonder at the their environment as they pass mountain, ruin and hill.

On a particular uneventful day, Gandalf allows them to rest. They settle down between a group of rocks and thorny brushes and Sam is quick to get a fire going, having appointed himself as the group's personal chef. He is quite versatile with the few things they carry and are able to hunt.

He smiles up at Ithilae in gratitude as she throws a pheasant at his feet. It's well fed. He quickly plucks the bird, happy with the prize.

Legolas glances at it, seemingly uninterested, but after seeing how far Ithilae could shoot and her observing his skill when it was his turn to hunt, they've started having a wordless contest. Ithilae shot the pheasant on purpose while there were several guinea fowls lingering closer by. It was the hardest target to shoot.

Meanwhile, the elleth settles on a rock, overlooking the encampment. Since the start of their journey she is often found excluding herself and taking up the rear. Though some find her gaze at their back unnerving, others are quite happy with the arrangement, trustful of her.

Everyone is settling down to do their own thing before having a meal. Quickly tiring of sitting still and being full of energy, Merry and Pippin bug their companions to show them the use of their tiny swords until eventually Boromir gives in, setting them up for a lesson.

Gandalf, Aragorn and Gimli as well settle down with their pipes, content for the moment as they watch. Legolas is leaning close by against one of the rocks that has warmed in the sunlight, gazing over the plains, ever vigil of his surroundings. Sam is busy cooking and Frodo has decided to sit quietly near Ithilae, just looking at his friends practice with amusement. The elleth is only quietly observing the bigger picture.