Part 14

Legolas wanders through the woods, still rather put off by Ithilae's behavior. After all this time traveling together and all the peril they faced, why will she still not give him the light of day? Even she and Boromir get along better despite their argument on the first day they met.

He finds himself in a clearing with ahead the stables that hold the few horses these lands may hold. To his surprise, he finds Haldir standing in the enclosure before him.

Legolas has half the thought to turn around and leave, but as he spots the horse that the other elf is petting he cannot help but ask, "Is that not Randir, Ithilae's horse? Or are my eyes deceiving me?" he questions.

Haldir turns to him, a smile on his usually straight face. "Indeed it is. He was found wandering the pastures at the border by our scouts."

"Does she know he's here yet?" Legolas wonders.

Haldir shakes his head. "No, but perhaps you would have the honors?" Haldir suggests.

Legolas looks to him surprised. "Would you not like to tell her yourself? I believed you to be close friends?" he asks carefully, making the Marchwarden chuckle.

"I would, but I cannot find the time. Orcs are near and I would like to stop them from entering the woods." he explains.

Legolas sighs wistfully. "In that case I would gladly convey the message, if she would only allow me to speak with her."

Haldir raises a brow at the Prince. "Ah, she's being difficult is she? I would not weigh her behavior too heavy on your heart if I were you." he advises.

"I beg your pardon, but that is easy for you to say. She seems to have a liking towards you at least." Legolas counters as he starts to pet Randir absentmindedly.

Haldir looks to him as if trying to read him, before smirking lightly. "I see you have taken an strong interest in the moon." he states, startling Legolas at his underhanded way of suggesting him having more than a casual interest in the elleth.

Of course he holds an interest of some kind. Who wouldn't? She is a strong and confident elleth, who proves to be compassionate when she must. He's never seen anyone fight quite like her. And her whole being is clouded in mystery... Beside that, she looks most appeasing, but that is a whole different matter!

He tries to shrug casually, but it comes off rather stiffly. "I might. But her walls are impenetrable. I find I cannot draw closer." he says uncertainly, not knowing if Haldir is the right person to speak to when it concerns Ithilae.

Haldir's piercing gaze holds him for a moment longer, before looking away with a knowing smile. "Perhaps..." he says cryptically. "I have known her since she was a mere babe. I saw her grow up." he reveals, catching Legolas' interest.

"She has always been a bit different from other Elves, but not always so angry." he adds.

"How so? What happened?" Legolas can't help but ask.

Haldir pauses in thought before answering, "I cannot tell you all of it. It is not up to me to say..." he starts, reminding Legolas of what Aragorn said to him in Rivendell. "But a heavy burden has been laid on her shoulders once her mother left for the undying lands when she was still young. It has caused her many grievances." he explains.

Legolas has a feeling that it has to do with her determination in their cause to destroy the One Ring. That explains something about the root of her anger, but...

"You mentioned she is different?" he asks, causing Haldir to nod.

"She has the blood in her of a Noldor Elf." he reveals, making Legolas' eyes widen. "She is the last known in line from the House of Fëanor."

"How is that possible?" Legolas asks in wonder. "I believed the last of them to have passed before even my birth?"

Haldir shakes his head. "Nay. There was a child; Ithilae's mother who came from Eregion to these woods. When she reached maturity, she married one of us and Ithilae came not soon after." he explains.

Legolas finds himself with more questions and since Haldir is willing to share... "Who was her mother?" he asks.

Haldir thinks for a moment. "Her name was changed after she came here, to hide her origins from any wanting her harm, but I believe Ithilae once told me she was called Amaniel, or something like that. It was long ago, so forgive me if I do not recall correctly." he apologizes.

Legolas looks thoughtful, but shakes his head after a moment. "That does not sound familiar."

Haldir smiles. "I suppose not. Her name has been lost in history. Her father however is known throughout Middle-Earth." he tells Legolas. "Though that is all I will tell you, for fear of damaging Ithilae's trust. That, and I will have to part soon."

Legolas nods. "Thank you, for telling me as much." he says sincerely.

Haldir waves it off. "Do not mention it. I mean it, don't. I just hope it has given you enough incentive to not give up on her just yet. I may have the advantage of knowing her for as long as I do, but towards me, she can be just as stubborn. She needs more friends in her life; ones who will not shy away when they find out her story. I believe you to be a candidate." he says, surprising Legolas once more.

"How can you be so sure?" he asks, making Haldir chuckle. He does not receive an answer however.

"Mauya nin avánië. Namárië! (I must go. Be well)." he calls over his shoulder.

Legolas watches him leave before turning to go back to join the company. Morning is already near at hand. Perhaps he will announce Randir's arrival to Ithilae himself after all. And while his mind is still on the strange conversation he just had with the Marchwarden, he feels lighter as he returns.

When he reaches the encampment, the elleth is not there however. Aragorn must have caught him looking rather disappointed, because he addresses the elf, "She has just left to speak with the Lady Galadriel. Prestad Legolas (Is there trouble)?" he questions in Elvish so as not to alert the others.

He receives a shake of the head in response. "All is well."